Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Downloaded from Cloud Smaller than from iPhone

I store my Photos and Videos on the Cloud. If I download a photo to my computer from the iCloud Photo app (Windows 10), it is about 60% smaller (file size) than the same photo which is emailed from my iPhone X. Also, it appears that the resolution is lower.

Example:

Photo A downloaded from the iCloud Photo app - 0.7 MB (2048 X 1536)

Photo A emailed to myself - 1.6 MB (4032 X 3024)

My understanding is that if there was a file size difference, the one sent from my phone would be smaller as the one on the Cloud should be the original, non-optimized version.

Any ideas?

iPhone 7, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 12:44 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 27, 2018 1:55 PM in response to Lazy Lightning

So, it must be one of two things:

1. The files are being compressed/optimized when they are saved to iCloud (that wouldn't make sense)

2. The Download process from within https://www.icloud.com/#photos is compressing the files when it is saved to my PC

I also tested saving the photo from my iPhone X to iCloud Drive and it was the original, larger size

Another observation - On my PC (Windows 10), in my iCloud Settings, I have the option turned on to download new photos and videos to my PC. These photos are also the original, larger size. Are these photos coming from my phone or my iCloud Photo Library? If my iCloud Photo LIbrary, I would think they would be the smaller versions that would be the same size of the photos manually downloaded from iCloud.

Thanks again for any insight.

Photos Downloaded from Cloud Smaller than from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.