Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download DRM free music files with iTunes Match and Apple Music Subscription?

Hello everyone!

I have a delicate question here.

I have the "Individual" membership on Apple Music, if I purchase iTunes Match will I be able to download DRM free music files?

Do you need to purchase albums on iTunes to download them from iTunes Match?

Or can you download them with your Apple Music subscription membership and iTunes Match?

Thanks 🙂

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 1:28 PM

All music from Apple Music has digital rights management on it, you can't remove it - Apple Music downloads are tied to a continuing subscription to Apple Music and can only be played via the account, if you end the subscription you lose access to your downloads from it.

If you want DRM free music you need to buy it from the iTunes Store instead of using Apple Music

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2018 1:28 PM in response to brwnbear2000

All music from Apple Music has digital rights management on it, you can't remove it - Apple Music downloads are tied to a continuing subscription to Apple Music and can only be played via the account, if you end the subscription you lose access to your downloads from it.

If you want DRM free music you need to buy it from the iTunes Store instead of using Apple Music

Jan 27, 2018 1:28 PM in response to brwnbear2000

King Penguin summarizes the Apple Music system. With Match the downloads are DRM free but this aspect is only relevant if you had old purchases from the early days of the iTunes Store and only recently wanted to upgrade them to DRM-free iTunes Plus. You could delete the originals and (if possible) re-download the DRM-free versions of things you had purchased, plus they were encoded at a higher quality. Neither Apple Music nor Match are an open ended system into DRM free downloads. 🙂

If you want free music, see if your local library has a subscription. Ours subscribes to Freegal and I can download 5 mp3 tracks per week from Freegal's library.

How to download DRM free music files with iTunes Match and Apple Music Subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.