Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family share rental not showing on mac

Rented a movie via AppleTV, rental show up on all family iPhone and iPad devices, but not on my daughter's MacAir. Any suggestions? thnx.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 9:45 AM

Hi, Wil!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your daughter is unable to access a movie rental on her MacBook Air, when other devices in the family can see it. I'm happy to help!

The following article gives information on sharing content, including movies, with Family Sharing: Share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases with Family Sharing - Apple Support . The following information from the footnotes may be helpful, as well:
Music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers.

If you still need some help, check out the steps here: If you don't see your family's shared content - Apple Support

Have a great day!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2018 9:45 AM in response to wil@4319

Hi, Wil!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your daughter is unable to access a movie rental on her MacBook Air, when other devices in the family can see it. I'm happy to help!

The following article gives information on sharing content, including movies, with Family Sharing: Share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases with Family Sharing - Apple Support . The following information from the footnotes may be helpful, as well:
Music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers.

If you still need some help, check out the steps here: If you don't see your family's shared content - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Jan 30, 2018 12:11 PM in response to wil@4319

Hi, Wil,

Thanks for the update.

If you've already gone through the article previously provided, I would suggest next taking a look at how rentals work across multiple devices, as described below in About renting movies from the iTunes Store - Apple Support :

Watch your movie rental across devices

Movies you rent are available to watch on each device associated with your Apple ID. Make sure you're on the latest version of iOS, tvOS, or iTunes available, then follow the steps below to find your rentals.

You can download your rental on one device and stream it on another. For example, if you rent and download a movie on your iPhone, you can stream it on your Apple TV. But you can't stream your rental on more than one device at a time.

You also can't download your rental to more than one device at a time. To download your rental on a different device, make sure that you're connected to the Internet, then delete it from the first device. Then, on the second device, find the rental and tap the download icon User uploaded file .

Rentals aren't available in all countries or regions. See what's available in your country or region.

In addition, rentals are available for 48 hours after streaming has begun.

For more information, and additional assistance should you still need help, please reach out to Apple Support directly here: Contact Apple Support .

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2018 9:50 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex -- thnx for the feedback. Did all the steps you referred to even before I posted the issue, still didn't work. Maybe it was a timing/server sync issue on a busy Sunday afternoon..? Her iPhone and iPad worked as designed, but not the MacAir and they all have the same family-share setting. Will check again with the next rental to see if that issue retains.

Thnx again.

family share rental not showing on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.