Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Late 2009 iMac Have a PRAM Battery?

Hi. The iMac's fan (late 2009) when you turn it on spins but there is no chime, the screen is black. The iMac has not been turned ON for a year (put in a box, in a closet). It's around 8 years old. If there's a pram battery, is there a guide or link on how to replace the battery?

Thank you.

God bless, Proverbs 31

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Late 2015 8GB M395 2TB Fusion Drive

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 11:36 AM

Yes they have a small coin size pram battery on the logic board.

Yes the battery can be replaced, but it is not an easy DIY because it is on the back side of the logic board. Which means that you have to pretty much completely disassemble the iMac to replace it. see > iMac Intel Repair - iFixit

To be honest, I do not think that a dead pram battery is causing the problem. It actually seems like a more serious hardware problem that is keeping that Late 2009 iMac from starting up. I would be more inclined to run the Apple Hardware Test that can be found on the original Install Disc Set that came with that iMac. see > How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 11:36 AM in response to Alvin777

Yes they have a small coin size pram battery on the logic board.

Yes the battery can be replaced, but it is not an easy DIY because it is on the back side of the logic board. Which means that you have to pretty much completely disassemble the iMac to replace it. see > iMac Intel Repair - iFixit

To be honest, I do not think that a dead pram battery is causing the problem. It actually seems like a more serious hardware problem that is keeping that Late 2009 iMac from starting up. I would be more inclined to run the Apple Hardware Test that can be found on the original Install Disc Set that came with that iMac. see > How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2018 4:04 PM in response to Alvin777

Alvin777 wrote:

When I remove the memories, there is a beep. Does that mean that the logicboard and power supply are good?

It will not startup without good memory modules. Not necessarily.

The PRAM battery does nothing to start the iMac by the way? Or it's more than just battery for time and date? Is it like in the PC whereby if your CMOS' battery is dead, it's not gonna' start?

It keeps time and other settings. I do not know for sure, but if you leave the iMac plugged in for awhile it may bring the pram battery up.

see > http://lowendmac.com/2007/solving-mac-startup-problems/

and > https://www.cultofmac.com/50685/how-to-fix-common-mac-startup-problems-macrx/

Does the Late 2009 iMac Have a PRAM Battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.