Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my phone using data when its on wifi

I have an iPhone 6s and I don’t understand why my At&T app is saying I’m using data at certain times whenever I know for sure I am connected to WiFi. I have even turned off my cellular data and turned off all my apps but it still says I’m using data when I am not. It’s not possible to use 7 gigs in 2 weeks, is it? Someone help lol, I think there is something wrong with my phone!

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 8:05 PM

If the phone is in standby and not connected to power, it will switch to cellular data. Even so, that seems excessive. WiFi assist will use cellular data if the WiFi connection is exceptionally poor or not working for some reason.

If you go to Settings>Cellular, you can see what's using your cellular data. In my experience, when this happens, it's often a 'stuck' Exchange account trying to sync with the server.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 8:05 PM in response to Brittnaygfree

If the phone is in standby and not connected to power, it will switch to cellular data. Even so, that seems excessive. WiFi assist will use cellular data if the WiFi connection is exceptionally poor or not working for some reason.

If you go to Settings>Cellular, you can see what's using your cellular data. In my experience, when this happens, it's often a 'stuck' Exchange account trying to sync with the server.

Jan 28, 2018 8:18 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for your reply! I actually don’t have my WiFi assist on so I know it can’t be that. And I was on the phone with AT&T the other day so I reset all my statists so I can’t really see what’s using up all my data. I’ve actually had my data turned off for a few days now and just been using my phone when connected to WiFi but it still says I’m using data at 3 in the morning and crazy times when I’m not even awake or when I’m even on WiFi. So I’ve had my data turned off but it actually jumped to 8.5 gigs now, and I only have 1 more gig to go for the next 10 days before I run over.. lol. Should I take my phone to the Apple store? Or is there something I can fix on my own?

Jan 28, 2018 9:02 PM in response to Brittnaygfree

Hi Brittnay,

First, check your app settings:

Second, don't just depend on this - go into apps and make sure cellular isn't an option unless you specifically need it to be.

Another place to check is background app refresh. You may have apps running on cellular in the background without realizing it.

With this in mind, make sure you're closing your apps completely after use.

System services will also give you a good idea of what could be using cellular. There were a few significant ones I found in mine personally. I then went to the apps that were using high data and adjusted the settings.

**Anything with media, motion, etc will eat up your cell data quickly also. Facebook for example, since it's been updated with moving memes, videos, and music in the timeline, goes through my data terribly. My other social media apps and streaming apps do as well.

The automatic updating of apps could be affecting your cell usage also. Check into that.

Hope you get this sorted :)

View how much data you're using

To see how much cellular data that you've used, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data instead.

To see how much cellular data an app is using, scroll down to find the app. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app. When cellular data is off, apps use Wi-Fi for data.

To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap System Services. Cellular data can't be turned on or off for individual System Services.

Depending on your carrier, you may see overall cellular data usage displayed on this screen. If you don’t have this option, or have questions about your data usage, contact your carrier.

why is my phone using data when its on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.