Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstallation issue

I have a late 2011 iMac that I'm cleaning up for a sale. I have erased the hard drive, however when I try and reinstall the OS X 'el Capitan' I receive the following message. "The item is temporary available, please try again later" I've tried for a few days now and Apple are reporting no issues, so I'm guessing there must be some kind of conflict somewhere.

I've read that it could be the clock is incorrect, however without an OS I cannot see how to amend, if this is the issue.

The iMac is from the UK however I'm currently in Spain, so I'm redirected to the UK store where I have my account registered.

Any help that can avoid a mission to the Apple Store would be appreciated : )

iMac

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 3:10 AM

You need to start from Internet recovery (Command-Option-R) and install the original OS. Installing El Capitan or any other OS tied to your Apple ID will make it so the new owner cannot update or upgrade because they don't have the necessary access to your account in the App Store. What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2018 3:10 AM in response to outsilver

You need to start from Internet recovery (Command-Option-R) and install the original OS. Installing El Capitan or any other OS tied to your Apple ID will make it so the new owner cannot update or upgrade because they don't have the necessary access to your account in the App Store. What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Reinstallation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.