Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock button ends my phone calls

The lock button on my iPhone 8 Plus will end my phone call when I'm just trying to turn off the screen but remain on the call. How can I change this? I have seen posts that say to enter into speaker mode first but remaining on speaker mode is not an option for me.

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 10:18 AM

That is expected behavior. Why are trying to turn off the screen? Are you not holding the phone to your ear? If you are, it should blank out on its own. Are you using an earpiece, or the supplied earpods?

4 replies

Jan 30, 2018 12:17 PM in response to sa_jules

I have noticed the following behavior:

• As @ChrisJ4203 says, the screen being turned on is the expected behavior when I'm holding the phone out in front of me. If I lift it to my ear, the screen turns off momentarily, unless...
  • When I am using an earpiece/bluetooth device,
    • The screen doesn't turn off when I put the phone up to my ear
    • I can push the lock button and the iPhone doesn't end the call

I haven't studied speakerphone functionality, but it sounds like it's similar to using an earpiece, yes?

Jan 31, 2018 5:26 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Correct, I am not holding the phone to my ear. If I’m on the phone at work I will have my earbuds in and set the phone down on my desk out of the way. The screen will dim but remains lit so in an effort to prevent battery drain I’d usually reach over and turn off the screen. With my iPhone I can’t use the lock button because it will end the call so it remains lit throughout the entire call

I did change the setting for rise/wake up and that has helped with movbig around and the phone consistently lighting up but now my only problem is the screen being on when I’m on the phone.

Lock button ends my phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.