Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing numerous important calls because cannot uncheck Silence while iPhone is locked or Always or anytime actually!

This issue is incredibly frustrating. I missed 6 calls - same person - whilst I was sitting waiting for their call but my iPhone was locked. It is impossible to turn this off - ie to untick both the above mentioned settings - While iPhone is locked and Always.

Several other users have submitted their opinions and Robin's response was extremely measured but this is driving me crazy as I cannot eliminate the problem.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on May 18, 2020 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 2:08 PM

Unless you have Do Not Disturb turned on, the setting that you are describing does not go into affect. If you are missing calls, are these calls from people in your Contacts? If not, then please go to Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Callers, and turn that off. It is a newer feature and when it was in the update, it was turned on by default. Any callers not in your Contacts will not ring. With it turned off, the phone will ring.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 2:08 PM in response to Jane3133

Unless you have Do Not Disturb turned on, the setting that you are describing does not go into affect. If you are missing calls, are these calls from people in your Contacts? If not, then please go to Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Callers, and turn that off. It is a newer feature and when it was in the update, it was turned on by default. Any callers not in your Contacts will not ring. With it turned off, the phone will ring.

May 26, 2020 7:53 AM in response to David Mellor1

I'm sorry, but I cannot fix anything. I'm a user just like you. Apple does not participate here. That setting does not have any affect when Do Not Disturb is turned off. Something else is going on. Do you have an app from you carrier or the app store to filter unknown callers, or spam calls? Have you checked to see if the Mute Switch is turned on for the side of the phone to mute sounds?

Missing numerous important calls because cannot uncheck Silence while iPhone is locked or Always or anytime actually!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.