Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove News from the left swipe menu in IOS 11.x

I'm honestly not a fan of the left swipe menu (or whatever it is called) so far. But what I definitely do not want to see there is stories from the news app. To be clear, what I mean is the set of things that show up when you swipe left from the home screen.

I have looked at many suggestions for how to disable this feature, but they are apparently outdated. The specific menu options they refer to do not appear, at least not exactly. I have already tried looking under "Siri and Search," and there turning off "Suggestions in Search" and "Suggestions in Look Up." Under "News" on that page, I have turned off "Search Siri and Suggestions," "Show App," and "Find Content in Other Apps." Therefore on that page "News" shows "off. Under the regular settings page, there is a News section. There I have turned off Location, "Siri & Search," Notifications, "Always Show Next Up," "Show Story Previews," - everything on that page except for "Restrict Stories for You" since that last one says it will stop stories from showing up from sources I do not follow. As far as I know I am not following any.

Nevertheless, although I do no longer see headlines appearing when I swipe left, News STILL shows up there and if my thumb hits that it will open the News app and show me the headlines I do not want to see in the first place. How do I actually keep that from showing on that page? It would be nice to remove the rest of the stuff from there, too, or remove the page altogether if it can be done.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2018 6:09 AM

Do you mean News in the widgets screen to the left of the normal home page (swipe right from the home screen)?

If so, scroll to the bottom of that screen and use the Edit button. Then press the red ⊖ to the left of News, then press Done at the top-right.

Similar questions

3 replies

How do I remove News from the left swipe menu in IOS 11.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.