Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7.3.46 crashing on Windows 10

Long story short: each time I enter the Browse page - iTunes crashes.

Works like a charm on my Huawei though, same account, of course. Had to cancel the first subscription payment in case it continues to crash and I can't use it on my laptop.

Things I tried:

1) Changed the user;

2) Updated all possible software (drivers, anti-virus [built-in]);

3) Launched it with NO additional software running (screenshot-savers, performance apps, browsers, email clients, etc);

4) Turned off the built-in anti-virus;

5) Launched as Administrator;

6) Set a compatibility mode for all options available;

These didn't help.

It doesn't crash IF:

I turn off the WiFi, open iTunes and open any page aside from Browse. Then turn of the WiFi and start playing music from my library.

Sad part: I cannot find new music to listen to because it crashes (screenshot attached) when I go to Browse. Dump files are available but weight almost 400 MB, can upload if necessary.

Hoping for some help 🙂

User uploaded file

Windows 10, ASUS S551L

Posted on Jan 31, 2018 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 6:24 AM

If iTunes is apparently installed correctly try the following in turn until iTunes opens/closes/reopens/connects to the store normally:

• Remove any SD card that might be in a card reader.
  • Exit the BTTray.exe Bluetooth utility if installed.
  • Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build, for example, they had to use this method every time and modified the shortcut accordingly.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Try disconnecting your computer from the Internet before running iTunes.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible to delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • Temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus and see if that has any impact on the behaviour.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice. Disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software when reinstalling and run the installer as the administrator.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section of the troubleshooting tip and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you. Note that iTunes 12.6.3.6 is the minimum version required for devices running iOS 11.

tt2

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2018 6:24 AM in response to NichitaS

If iTunes is apparently installed correctly try the following in turn until iTunes opens/closes/reopens/connects to the store normally:

• Remove any SD card that might be in a card reader.
  • Exit the BTTray.exe Bluetooth utility if installed.
  • Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build, for example, they had to use this method every time and modified the shortcut accordingly.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Try disconnecting your computer from the Internet before running iTunes.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible to delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • Temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus and see if that has any impact on the behaviour.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice. Disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus software when reinstalling and run the installer as the administrator.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section of the troubleshooting tip and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you. Note that iTunes 12.6.3.6 is the minimum version required for devices running iOS 11.

tt2

Mar 7, 2018 7:36 AM in response to rana0971

Judging from other posts you might find that if you start iTunes while your network is offline then it doesn't crash, but that isn't a great workaround. As noted earlier:

You can find every version of iTunes 12 here. All versions of iTunes 12.7.x released so far use the same library structure so you can switch between them and still use the most recent version of your library database. iTunes 12.6.3.6 is the minimum version that supports iOS 11.

That also goes for iPhone 8 and X. I'd probably go for 12.7.1.14 as the 12.7.2.x versions have issues writing to CD.

tt2

Jan 31, 2018 12:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey TT2,

Thanks for your input, though this does feel like a blind copy-paste (given most of my input is doubled in your solutions).

I've also tried like 95% of what you proposed (though I didn't list these). Unfortunately my efforts were futile.

I'll try several older versions of installers to see if this helps. I believe once installed, I should deny any updates?

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2018 5:42 AM in response to NichitaS

I uninstalled everything Apple on my Windows 10 machine and reinstalled it and STILL it is just sitting there frozen and I can't do anything with it. When I force close it going through task manager it reopens... ON ITS OWN!!! What in the world is that about??? No other program opens on its own, especially after I have completely shut it off. It's been this way forever now and I just chalked it up to lazy developers at Apple who don't know how to code. Same with this frozen itunes most recent update and fresh install. Still frozen and I can't do anything with it.

When I open task manager, it shows that there are 7 (that's right 7!!!) instances of itunes open! When I click on the tree I see MobileDeviceHelper, itunes, distnoted (32-bit), console window host TWICE!) What in the world are all these instances open for and why is it frozen? This only happened after the recent update. Again, I have uninstalled everything Apple and reinstalled with a clean, fresh install and it is still frozen and I can't do anything with it.

Mar 3, 2018 10:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello

For me, rolling back to a earlier version worked just fine for my iphone 7 plus, it was not crashing then. But now, as I have updated my phone to iphone x, It says, I have to update itunes to latest verion, otherwise it will not detect my iphone x. So, i had to update and reached the same place I have started from.

Latest itunes again crashing in my Win 10 Machine...... any advice would be higly appreciated...

iTunes 12.7.3.46 crashing on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.