Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install legacy Java SE 6 runtime

I know this has been addressed many times, but there seems to be a new wrinkle. When I go to the download page for the legacy runtime file, there is no button or other means of downloading. Photoshop/Illustrator etc. can't be used until I sort this. Does anyone know of a working download link please? I'm on El Capitan on a steam-driven 2008 Mac Pro, and this problem kicked in after I installed the latest security update today. That led to requiring recovery from a kernel panic episode and subsequent reinstallation of OSX.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 10:01 AM

Have you checked the App Store for an update to Safari? You should be able to get a newer version.

Try another browser.

Firefox 10.9 or higher

Opera Browser 10.9 or higher

SeaMonkey 10.9 or higher

Waterfox 10.8 or higher

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 2, 2018 7:07 AM in response to PaulBrimstone

Paul,

I was viewing the download button on that link from a fully updated El Capitan 10.11.6 machine with Safari 11.0.3.

In Safari, clear all history, and empty the browser cache. Then quit Safari, and relaunch while holding the shift key. Then, try the above link again to see if there is any change.

You won't be able to clear Safari cache until you have the Developer menu enabled from the Safari Preferences : Advanced panel. Then option+command+E. The Develop menubar word will flash blue.

If you still see no download button after the above actions, then I suggest that you boot into Safe Boot mode, and try again there, reboot normally, and try again as well.

Feb 2, 2018 10:45 AM in response to PaulBrimstone

Sounds like the updates didn't;t in fact get installed, the App Store can be a shonky.

Go to About This Mac then click System Report Go To Software and then click on Installations.

Now click on Install Date twice latest downloads will no be listed first.

You could download this,Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update once downloaded, double-click to install.

It will do no harm to install this again, it resets some system files and caches and may make your mac behave more predictably.

Let us know how you get on.

Feb 2, 2018 10:23 AM in response to Eric Root

Bingo, Eric Root! Talk about embarrassing; I should have tried the bleedin’ obvious first. I got the download via Firefox and now I can run Photoshop etc. The primary issue is solved but I suppose the Safari question remains, however. My App Store updates say Safari 11.0.3 was auto installed on Jan 23 — but the only active copies of I have on my Mac are v7 and v9. I wonder if yesterday’s security update somehow scrapped v.11. I have seen all sorts of other weird behaviour such as fonts and dock items vanishing. The update was 10.11.6, and strangely, despite being installed yesterday, it is still asking to be installed today.

Feb 2, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Eau, I checked the installations as you suggested, and it says the security update was made yesterday — right when my problems began. Given that my machine is currently reasonably stable, and I can get some work done — and also see Sven’s comment below — I'm going to hold off updating again for a little while. I might give it a try later on, and will report back. Of course, I had to use Firefox again to access the download you highlighted! Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Cannot install legacy Java SE 6 runtime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.