Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install legacy Java 6 bc 'a newer version is already installed'

I just got a new iMac (running High Sierra, version 10.13.6). I used Time Machine to transfer all my info, but was getting this message when I tried to open Photoshop (CS5):

User uploaded file

The Apple page which was supposed to have the legacy version didn't actually have any download link - it looked like this:

User uploaded file

So I ended up downloading Java 8, hoping somehow that would work. Clearly, it didn't. Eventually I found a link to download the right Java version (file name is JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg, and it actually is the legacy Java 6) and I deleted every trace I could find of Java 8. First I followed these command instructions:

User uploaded file

... but when I tried to install Java 6, I still got this message:

User uploaded file

I assumed I had missed something, so I followed these uninstall directions:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

...But everything those directions instructed me to delete was already gone, probably because I had just done the same thing through the Terminal?

I've emptied the trash, restarted the computer, uninstalled CS5 and reinstalled it... I'm kind of at my wits end. It just keeps telling my that a newer version of the package is already installed. Any suggestions?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 10:44 AM

From your last screenshot you are trying to install Java for OS X 2014-001, the legacy Java 6 runtime you need to install is Java for macOS 2017-001, which you can download here Download Java for OS X 2017-001. Have you been able to access that page and see the download button. Oracle Java 8 or Oracle Java 6 have nothing to do with this download or the ability for you to launch Adobe apps. Here is a screenshot from my Mac with Sierra installed, this has already got the Java for macOS 2017-001 installed but will allow me to install it again. When you transferred your data you must have transferred a version of the legacy Java runtime which is newer than the 2014 version you are trying to install but older than the 2017 version you need.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 10:44 AM in response to emaciej

From your last screenshot you are trying to install Java for OS X 2014-001, the legacy Java 6 runtime you need to install is Java for macOS 2017-001, which you can download here Download Java for OS X 2017-001. Have you been able to access that page and see the download button. Oracle Java 8 or Oracle Java 6 have nothing to do with this download or the ability for you to launch Adobe apps. Here is a screenshot from my Mac with Sierra installed, this has already got the Java for macOS 2017-001 installed but will allow me to install it again. When you transferred your data you must have transferred a version of the legacy Java runtime which is newer than the 2014 version you are trying to install but older than the 2017 version you need.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2018 5:52 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you for your reply. Downloading Java 6 wasn't the problem really (I only mentioned it to explain why I ended up downloading Java 8 instead). The problem is that I keep getting this message when I try to install Java 6:

User uploaded file

"Java for OS X 2014-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed."

If, as you say, Java 8 isn't interfering with the Java 6 install, do you know of any other reason why I'd keep getting this message?

Sep 23, 2018 11:00 PM in response to emaciej

In order for Adobe apps to run you need to install the legacy Java 6 runtime, from here, Download Java for OS X 2017-001. Quit often people report that the download button is missing so look in your Safari> Preferences> Security make sure in Web Content that Enable Java Script is checked. I have just checked the page and I can download from there. If you are still not able to download it you may have to contact Apple, Feedback - Safari - Apple

The next thing is that the legacy Java 6 runtime is totally different from Java 8 so there was no need to uninstall Java 8 trying to replace it with the older version 6. My Mac has Java 8 installed so I can use a certain app and I also have the legacy Java 6 runtime so I can operate my Adobe apps. So f you can restore your Mac to a backup you had before you tried replace Java 8 with Java 6, if not try installing Java 8 again. Once you have done that then go back to the download page for the legacy Java 6 runtime and see if you can download it.

If you are not able to see the download button, try a different browser.

Can't install legacy Java 6 bc 'a newer version is already installed'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.