Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods won’t Reset

When attempting reset, no amber light flashes, only white.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 2:01 PM

But that never happens. I have the same problem as the original post, except my right AirPod won't work and they won't reset. I hold the reset button and it slowly flashes white, never flashes amber. I can hold it for 2 mins to no avail. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

285 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 2:01 PM in response to deggie

But that never happens. I have the same problem as the original post, except my right AirPod won't work and they won't reset. I hold the reset button and it slowly flashes white, never flashes amber. I can hold it for 2 mins to no avail. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Feb 27, 2018 12:01 PM in response to klutzyduck

I don't even get a white blinking light, I basically have a green light when I open the case with my airpods in, I hold down the reset button on the back and the light turns a solid white, but then never flashes it will stay steady white for the length that I hold the button down then return to steady green once I let go.

I reset iPhone network settings and forgot airpods from Bluetooth, so not sure how to fix my issue short of a trip to the Genius Bar.

Sep 11, 2018 10:48 PM in response to klutzyduck

Has happened to me several times. Finally figured it out. You can’t fully reset the Airpods unless *both* airpods are fully physically connected inside the case. The catch is that one airpod might not fully connect, so even if it’s physically in the case, the case doesn’t *think* it’s in there, and won’t let you reset no matter how long you hold down the button.

So take out both airpods, and put in one at a time. The troublesome AirPod might not activate the amber “charging” light if it doesn’t make a connection. So take it out, and put it back in, a couple times, until re-insertion finally activates an amber light. You may need to clean the contacts inside the case with a cotton swab. Then put the other one back in, and confirm you still see an amber light. *Then* you can do a hard reset by holding down the button for 15 seconds until you get yet another amber light and then flashing white.

TLDR, reinsert the problem AirPod over and over again until the case *recognizes* it by turning the light amber.

Sep 10, 2019 10:05 PM in response to klutzyduck

**Easiest fix**

1. ensure the contacts are clean
  2. with the case open push the ear buds themselves down into the case with a snug force to ensure they make contact. This will allow you to pair / reset etc. It doesn’t take a lot of force, but it ensures the contact is made for both pods which appears to be the most common issue.

Jun 26, 2018 7:17 AM in response to klutzyduck

I've been battling this same issue for several days and was about to buy a new pair - white light continuously blinking without ever getting the mentioned amber flashes after long-pressing the setup button. My right one hasn't been working and when inserted into the case I'd get a flashing green light (which would turn solid green when the right, faulty one got taken out of the case). Meaning, the case would detect the right one being inserted, but clearly had some sort of a connection issue. This is probably anecdotal, specific to my case, and might not apply to all - but what fixed it was slamming it against a table. Now everything works as normal and I was able to factory reset without an issue.

Feb 15, 2018 1:27 PM in response to khart5970

Yes! I called support and they had me reset my network setting on the iPhone, then disconnect the AirPods (forget this device process under bluetooth) and then they were able to successfully disconnect, and then reset fine. The right one still doesn't work, but I think that is another issue.

On your phone -- go to general>reset>reset network settings.

Mar 23, 2018 3:30 PM in response to klutzyduck

Simple answer is don't buy Apple airpods. They're expensive and overrated.

I bought a replacement airpod and had the same issue mentioned above and it still didn't work. Spent ~5 hours on the phone and on hold with Apple support with each technician having me jump through the same set of hoops. At the end they said, we'll send you another one. I asked if I could return the replacement airpod I bought because I don't want to use airpods anymore after all the hassle they put me through. Their response was no! You can't return something you just bought, that's against Apple policy. Still can't believe that was their answer.

So they forced me to take another replacement. I hope this next one works, but I highly doubt it given they had just given me a replacement left airpod. Even if it does I'm extremely disappointed with Apple's customer service and will definitely be looking for better headphones shortly.

Jul 17, 2018 5:53 PM in response to khart5970

I was having the same issue (left airpod not charging or being recognized) and I found a fix. When the left AirPod was in the case I lifted up on it ever so slightly (maybe 1/64”) and the light changed to orange and it started charging. So I stuck a very thin piece of foam with adhesive on one side into the fitted groove so the AirPod now sits higher in the case and charges. Hope this helps!

Feb 15, 2018 3:07 PM in response to cla42

I was actually able to resolve my issue before I saw your suggestion. If any of you are still trying to figure this out, try cleaning the contacts in the bottom of your airpod case with a cotton swab. Once I did that and put them back in, the light glowed amber (showing that they were charging) as opposed to the green (full charge) light if had before the cleaning. I then did the reset process and it worked! Once connected, it showed my left AirPod had very low battery. So basically, some dirt or something kept it from charging and it died completely. Hopefully that helps someone!

Jun 25, 2018 5:46 AM in response to klutzyduck

i had this same problem, spent an hour cleaning, resetting etc. all of the suggestions in this article bar the very helpful 'dont buy them' answer.

i think its caused by a glitch in the connection. i added the battery widget to my notifcations page (swipe left from home screen) and when i scrolled down to view the battery that way, the case suddenly showed up and everything came back online. might not work for all but worked for me! both working again!

Mar 23, 2018 3:54 PM in response to atbhati2

No, not all reviews are that way. And most people writing articles that some product has a problem have more than their own experience and "many" people. How many is many? 1 million? 2 million? Seems like the trades and rumor sites would have landed all over this.

Obviously a warranty replacement item cannot be returned. And your AirPods are in warranty so you didn't spend anything to get the replacement unit. The question is when did you buy the AirPods. Was it in the last 14 days?

AirPods won’t Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.