Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use apple watch LTE in different country where I have bought it

Hi all.

I am currently in Australia ( Canberra ). In the city there is an apple store, where I want to buy an LTE version of the apple watch.

Originally I am from Europe correctly Slovakia ( where are 3 carriers: T-Mobile, Orange, O2 [LTE band support in these 3 carriers are: 800, 1800 and 2600 MHz).

My plan is that I will buy an Apple watch 3 LTE version ( Model A1861 (42mm) ). As I know it has LTE band support of these frequencies:

• LTE
  • 2 (1900 MHz)
  • 4 (AWS)
  • 5 (850 MHz)
  • 12 (700 MHz)
  • 13 (700c MHz)
  • 17 (700b MHz)
  • 18 (800 MHz)
  • 19 (800 MHz)
  • 25 (1900 MHz)
  • 26 (800 MHz)
  • 41 (TD 2500)
  • UMTS
  • 800 MHz
  • 850 MHz
  • 1700 MHz
  • 1900 MHz

In my home country ( Slovakia ) there is no eSIM support right now, but I want to buy the LTE version of the watch, and later activate it when it will be supported.

So my question is, if I buy this in Australia, can I use it normally, without eSIM functionality, until we will get eSIM support in my country?

Will it let me to use all of features of the watch (except of the LTE) ? Can I expect that the watch will lock me out of the use, when I want to first time set it up?

Thank you for your help.

BR

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2.5, iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 11:52 PM

4 replies

Feb 2, 2018 2:01 AM in response to cserba

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) availability

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) is not currently available in Slovakia.

Apple advises that Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will become available in other countries this year, but it has not yet specified when and where. I suggest that you monitor the Apple website for further information regarding potential availability in due course:

Apple Watch Series 3 - Apple (SK)

I'm afraid that, in the meantime, no-one here can tell you anything about Apple's or any give carrier's unannounced plans. You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Buying in a different country

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) is not locked to any specific carrier and has a built-in eSIM that copies information from the iPhone's SIM card.

The built-in cellular features require a carrier plan for your iPhone in your country of use that specifically includes support for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), including the carrier activating the device on the plan.

If buying Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) in another country, then, in order to use the built-in cellular feature, you would need to buy a model that supports the relevant LTE and UMTS bands for your intended country of use and your supported carrier there.

There are three different regional versions of Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), each supporting different LTE and UMTS bands, as detailed here - Apple does not currently list any supported carriers for Slovakia:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

If in doubt, I suggest that you contact your intended carrier to ask whether any given model can be used on their network with a plan that they may offer or plan on offering for iPhone that supports Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular).

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can be used without activating the built-in cellular feature, in which case it functions like a GPS-only model, in conjunction with an iPhone 6 or newer model of iPhone (running the latest version of iOS) and a service plan from any carrier.

The built-in cellular features cannot be used when roaming.

The warranty terms for an Apple Watch purchased in Australia are detailed here:

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty

Feb 2, 2018 1:59 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks for the fast reply.

So this means, if in some time in the future, my carriers in Slovakia will decide that they will support eSIM, there is a huge possibility that the bought Australian LTE-GPS apple watch will work on my carriers (right now T-Mobile) bandwith which is 800 and 1800 MHz. Which is supported by the Australian model Model A1861?

Feb 3, 2018 4:09 AM in response to cserba

You're welcome! 🙂

Depending on which bands a carrier in Slovakia may use, that is certainly possible.

If in doubt, I suggest that you contact your intended carrier to ask about their plans and whether any given Apple Watch model is likely to be compatible, in their opinion, for use on their network in conjunction with a plan that they may later offer for iPhone that supports Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular).

Can I use apple watch LTE in different country where I have bought it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.