Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluekai

how do I remove stags.bluekai from safari

iMac, iOS 10.3

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 9:08 AM

17 replies

Feb 3, 2018 1:46 PM in response to Tittusmoody

Many users with macOS Mavericks 10.9.5 installed on their Mac are experiencing this problem.

Upgrading macOS to macOS High Sierra 10.13 may help.

8GB RAM installed will work.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

For checking the compatibility of applications already installed on your Mac: https://roaringapps.com

Backup your Mac before installing the upgrade.

Feb 7, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Tittusmoody

I have been tracking this question across every thread I can find on the Apple support forums and have yet to find a clear answer. I understand from web research that BlueKai is a web tracking software from Oracle and some of the threads suggest that a recent change of advertising relationship between eBay and Bluekai left the Bluekai tracking scripts unverified (which makes sense, the problem started on my MacBook Air within minutes of visiting an eBay listing)... but nothing explains how to remove an invisible, persistent tracking script. One thread that I can no longer find mentioned using AVAST and then uninstalling it, but why would it take an anti-virus software to remove a tracking script? I'm running Safari 9.1.3 and like others who failed to upgrade to a higher OS in time find themselves stuck with having to leap to HighSierra -- which needs more RAM than I have, or live with what appears to be an unsupported browser. Regardless, it seems that there should be a simple fix that Apple could send out as an update to the Safari 9.1.3 code. Any expert help on this tread would be appreciated!

Feb 12, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Tittusmoody

This is actually not a malware or adware issue. This problem is, unfortunately, normal with Mac OS X 10.9.

Recently, 10.9 systems began to have problems verifying certificates for certain sites. The bluekai.com sites, as well as the Oracle site (who owns bluekai.com), are among the affected sites.

I am not clear at this point what the cause of the problem is, but I have been able to confirm this behavior on a freshly-installed, clean 10.9 system.

Unfortunately, there are only two options available to you. One is to upgrade or downgrade your system. Mac OS X 10.10 and higher do not suffer from this problem, and strangely, for whatever reason, Mac OS X 10.8 is also not affected.

The other option is to stop using Safari and switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Note that Avast would only solve this problem because Avast, in essence, performs a man-in-the-middle attack on your system by installing their own root certificate as a means to decrypt and route all encrypted SSL (https) traffic through their software. This essentially short-circuits the ability of the browser to warn you of certificate issues, covering up the issue without fixing it. This also presents a serious security vulnerability, since A) Avast is intercepting all your encrypted network traffic, and B) Avast is preventing you from seeing normal warnings that would show up if, for example, a site's certificate had been revoked due to bad behavior.

Mar 7, 2018 11:50 AM in response to thomas_r.

I assumed that 2-spyware was not a site to be trusted. I just tried the instructions as described in their website. I did not click on anything nor did I download any of their recommendations.

I am also not downloading Avast, due to your comments. For now, I will ignore the popups, since it only affects a few sites (eBay, Politico). My next step would be to upgrade from 10.9 to 10.10.

Mar 7, 2018 12:03 PM in response to Fred_54

Fred_54 wrote:

I assumed that 2-spyware was not a site to be trusted. I just tried the instructions as described in their website.

The problem with that is that the instructions posted on these kinds of scam websites are often bogus. They're often very general - sometimes even unchanged except for the name of the "threat" across a large number of pages on the site. The "threat" in question usually can't be removed, either in part or in entirety, by the instructions, and may not even be due to something installed on your computer anyway, as in this case.

Mar 7, 2018 5:26 PM in response to thomas_r.

So, as I understand the problem, bluekai is not anything that is actually downloaded to my computer; therefore, it is not something that I can delete from my computer.

If the problem is that Safari is attempting to verify the certificate of bluekai website, and cannot, then I would think the solution would be for me to tell Safari to not even attempt the verification. In effect, block all contact with the bluekai website. This is similar to blocking a phone number from a telemarketer--no contact from the telemarketer to my phone.

Or, am I being too simplistic?

bluekai

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.