Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Again: Move (not copy) picture from one album to another

This question is already asked and someone gave the answer as below:

Re: Move (not copy) picture from one album to another

"But simply click the delete kay after selecting and dragging to a different album, then the dragged photos will be removed from the original album."

Since the answer is accepted as correct answer we are not able reply there, but it is not completely correct answer, because when I delete the photo from Camera Roll, it removes also picture from album that I moved the photo. It is very difficult to handle 5000 images in Camera Roll if the moved images are not deleted from Camera Roll while organizing the photos. Simply when I move the picture from Camera Roll to an Album it should ask me if I want to copy or cut, that is simple as that. Dear apple engineers, please do this function 🙂 Make it user friendly guys, being user friendly is where Apple is usually strong at, but the current way of photo arrangement is not user friendly !

iPhone 6

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 12:42 AM

. Then the number of pictures in Camera Roll becomes huge, messy, and unorganizable.

And that is how it is supposed to work. The camera Roll is the one place where you always will see all photos in your library. It is the basic (and only) container of your photos. Photos is organizing them for you. The photos are sorted by the date you took the photos, and if you are using the Photos view, you can see the photos grouped by Moments, Collections, Years for easy access.

Why do you want to move photos between albums? Just add any photo to the album where you think it should appear. There is no need to have a photo in just one album. The photos do not need more storage if you add them to more than one album. They are not copied to the album. Just a reference will be added.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 12:42 AM in response to kadirakin85

. Then the number of pictures in Camera Roll becomes huge, messy, and unorganizable.

And that is how it is supposed to work. The camera Roll is the one place where you always will see all photos in your library. It is the basic (and only) container of your photos. Photos is organizing them for you. The photos are sorted by the date you took the photos, and if you are using the Photos view, you can see the photos grouped by Moments, Collections, Years for easy access.

Why do you want to move photos between albums? Just add any photo to the album where you think it should appear. There is no need to have a photo in just one album. The photos do not need more storage if you add them to more than one album. They are not copied to the album. Just a reference will be added.

Feb 3, 2018 12:24 PM in response to kadirakin85

You are posting in the Photos for Mac album, but are asking about Photos on an iPhone or iPad, right?

You are right, if you delete a photo from the Camera Roll, you will delete it from your Photos Library and it will be deleted from all albums. You cannot delete a photo from the camera roll album at all without removing it everywhere.

But you can move photos from one album to another albums, but It needs two steps.

1. First add the photo to the other album.
  2. Then remove the photo from the original album - remove it from the album, do not delete it:

Tap the photo or video, then tap the trash icon.You can choose to remove it from the album or delete it from your iCloud Photo Library on all your devices.

Feb 3, 2018 12:32 PM in response to kadirakin85

As to Photos for the Mac where you are posting You are missing how Photos works - you can not "move" anything anyplace with Photos, albums are not a "place" - they are a virtual organization feature - just a list of photos to display when you view the album - if you delete the photo from the library then it is gone everyplace since it only exists once in the library and every view of it is of that single instance

I believe it is the same on an IOS device but seldom use Photos for IOS to do anything except view my iCloud Photo Library contents

To "move" a photo between albums you add it to the new album then remove it (no deleting involved) from the old album (two separate steps)

LN

Feb 3, 2018 3:08 PM in response to léonie

Yes, the question is for Iphone. While posting the question I gave information that I have iphone6, but I didnt realize that the question appeared in "Photos for Mac". Anyway, as you confirmed the photo can not be deleted in Camera Roll in Iphone while utilizing albums. Then the number of pictures in Camera Roll becomes huge, messy, and unorganizable.

Again: Move (not copy) picture from one album to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.