Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing not recognizing my method of payment PayPal

Trying to set up family sharing on iPhone os. Have my account set up for PayPal. Won’t let me proceed past first “continue” when trying to set up.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1, Windows XP to Windows 7

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 8:25 AM

PayPal isn't a valid payment method for a Family Share : Payment methods that you can use in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store - Apple Support

If you're using Family Sharing and you're the family organizer, you can use the following payment methods:

• Credit and debit cards
  • Some additional payment methods available in select countries or regions (Alipay, China UnionPay, mobile phone billing, TrueMoney)

You can also create an account for a child under 133 using these payment methods, with the exception of mobile phone billing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 8:25 AM in response to Csix

PayPal isn't a valid payment method for a Family Share : Payment methods that you can use in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store - Apple Support

If you're using Family Sharing and you're the family organizer, you can use the following payment methods:

• Credit and debit cards
  • Some additional payment methods available in select countries or regions (Alipay, China UnionPay, mobile phone billing, TrueMoney)

You can also create an account for a child under 133 using these payment methods, with the exception of mobile phone billing.

Feb 4, 2018 12:58 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunate design flaw - never saw a major player in web services that requires two different methods of payment under the same family of products. You would think that a company like Apple would figure this out. I use PayPal for security and am not inclined to trust Apple with credit card info, and certainly not debit card.

Thanks again for the reply.

Feb 4, 2018 2:07 PM in response to Csix

I don't know the details of how Paypal works, and Apple doesn't provides the 'why' for many of its requirements. One thing that is clear for something like Family Sharing to receive acceptance by the various companies (not just Apple) involved is to ensure the members really have a close 'family' relationship. One way to demonstrate this is to make sure one person is open to bearing the financial burden of purchases made by other members. I don't know if it is possible to set up a dummy account in Paypal that would mask it actually being several unrelated people doing the payments.

Feb 4, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks Limnos...the crazy part is that I use PayPal for all other Apple ID purposes - music purchases, app purchases, etc. And I have used it for many years - ever since I got my first iPhone. That's what is so frustrating. thanks for your reply and thoughts though...appreciate it.

Feb 4, 2018 8:02 PM in response to Csix

Yes, but that's my point. For those other things Apple doesn't really care who is making the payment really, as long as they get their money. I think for Family Sharing they want to really put somebody on the spot as a way of making sure sharing is only between a highly trusting or financially controlled group such as a family might be. You are more unlikely to share your music with a group of casual acquaintances if you have to put your credit card on the line for any purchases they may make.

Family sharing not recognizing my method of payment PayPal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.