Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

And another Apple Mail Problem: An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “(null)”.

I just had connection problems with Apple Mail, and resolved them by deleting and setting up all affected accounts.

Now, when I delete a message, I get this error message (every time - and I have to click that message away every time)

"An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “(null)”.

Can this horrible Apple Mail app only cause problems?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 8:02 PM

Solution: trash was not assigned correctly by Apple Mail when setting up accounts again. In "mailbox behavior" I found out that the mailboxes assigned didn't really exist and I set them right - this stopped the annoying pop-up, and the trash landed where it was supposed to land: in the trash (and not on the floor, on the wall, under the table, or out the window )

I think it is simply that Apple Mail is a bit a sloppy.

If I were to write a hit parade of annoying pop-ups that pop us when something doesn't work (and which are not helpful), the one that caused this thread would be in the top 5.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 8:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Solution: trash was not assigned correctly by Apple Mail when setting up accounts again. In "mailbox behavior" I found out that the mailboxes assigned didn't really exist and I set them right - this stopped the annoying pop-up, and the trash landed where it was supposed to land: in the trash (and not on the floor, on the wall, under the table, or out the window )

I think it is simply that Apple Mail is a bit a sloppy.

If I were to write a hit parade of annoying pop-ups that pop us when something doesn't work (and which are not helpful), the one that caused this thread would be in the top 5.

Feb 4, 2018 7:57 PM in response to Ocean 17

Does it do the same thing in the Safe Mode?

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Feb 4, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Ocean 17

I browsed the web for this Apple Mail bug - none of the solutions worked.

When I click "delete" I get that An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “(null)” message and the message disappears.

But where?

I does not show up in the trash mailbox.

Thanks, Apple, for stealing another hour and a half of my work day with your sloppy coding.

And another Apple Mail Problem: An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “(null)”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.