Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone charger submerged in water

I accidentally left my iPhone charger port in water for 5 hours. The water went cloudy and there was a blue deposit on the point of the charger, which I rubbed off. I've put the end in rice now; how long should I leave it before trying it out?

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 1:12 AM

If you have apple care extended warranty you have two instances of accidental damage that may help you purchase a new charger for a reduced cost, however this may not be covered under those terms

AppleCare+ - iPhone - Apple

if you don't then get rid of the charger before you destroy your device or electrocute yourself, and replace it with a new Apple charger from Apple.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2018 1:12 AM in response to AlisonFrances

If you have apple care extended warranty you have two instances of accidental damage that may help you purchase a new charger for a reduced cost, however this may not be covered under those terms

AppleCare+ - iPhone - Apple

if you don't then get rid of the charger before you destroy your device or electrocute yourself, and replace it with a new Apple charger from Apple.

Feb 6, 2018 1:12 AM in response to AlisonFrances

I wouldn't even try plugging it in after being submerged in water for 5 hours. It's just not worth it.

You don't specifically need an Apple power adapter. The USB-A Apple power adapters are ordinary "dumb" power supplies and I've used good quality aftermarket USB power adapters without any problems. If you want to get an Apple replacement, the 12W versions that come with iPads are fully compatible and cost the same as the 5W iPhone power adapter. They will charge at the maximum rate unless you have an iPhone 8/8+/X, which can charge even faster with a USB-C power adapter.

Apple 12W USB Power Adapter - Apple

I don't know if you're in the United States, but you should be able to find the one sold in your area if you're not.

iPhone charger submerged in water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.