Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text fields in Safari browser not working

Ever since I finally gave in and accepted the software update (I really wish there was an option to just NOT UPDATE, instead of only being able to select "Remind me tomorrow" - my current issue is one of the reasons I prefer to not accept the updates, however, being harassed every single day with a popup demanding that I update gets pretty old pretty fast)..

Text fields in my internet browser (I'm using Safari 11.0.1) have not been working about 50% of the time. I will go to type something in a text field on a website, and nothing will happen; It's as if the keyboard (I'm not using an external keyboard, I am using my MacBook Pro keyboard) has magically stopped working, until I go to use it in literally any other program, and it actually works fine. The only way I have found to get it working, is to repeatedly refresh, click the URL bar, type something in the URL bar, then reselect the text field on the website, until the text field starts working again.

Occasionally instead of a text field on a website not working, it will be the URL bar that doesn't work. In this case, I need to do the same thing to get it working, but instead of clicking the URL bar and typing something then reselecting the text field on the website, I have to repeatedly refresh, click any text field on the website, type something in the text field, then reselect the URL bar, until the URL bar starts working again.

I am currently running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 2:58 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 7, 2018 6:19 PM in response to AC.peaches89

I agree that something appears to be stealing focus from Safari.

Here are some troubleshooting steps to follow, in no particular order:

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products, anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

If you don't get anywhere, you can use the following procedure to determine if the problem is internal or external to your Mac. Causes may involve your router, your ISP, the DNS Server(s) it uses, or certain user-configurable options.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

(I really wish there was an option to just NOT UPDATE, instead of only being able to select "Remind me tomorrow" -

If all you want to do is stop the macOS upgrade notification nag, then download it. The nag will cease. You can install it later, or never.

Having said that failing to keep macOS (and Safari) updated is seldom justified. Time Machine can restore a snapshotted version of the previously installed system. All you need to do is turn it on. For a more in-depth discussion with additional options to consider, read Upgrading macOS without fear.

Feb 6, 2018 4:44 PM in response to AC.peaches89

You are way behind in your High Sierra updates which would also update your version fo Safari to 11.0.3. See if these changes rectify your Safari issues. Otherwise, its like standing blind-folded at the roulette wheel.

The usual drill is to clear your Safari browser history and cache, then relauch with the shift key depressed, and assess if the problem has mysteriously ended.

Then, there is the possibility that some third-party browser plug-in may be out of date, or contributing to the issues that you describe. Same drill for any installed browser extensions. You may have to disable these one at a time until the problem disappears.

You may also possibly have malware that is causing your browser issues. Download Malwarebytes, and see if running it discovers any malware that it offers to remove. It will operate in trial mode, so no subscription to purchase if you aren't inclined. I don't.

Feb 7, 2018 5:18 PM in response to CountryGirl56

CountryGirl56, I don't have any software updates available.....? Showing as my macOS being up to date since I recently installed the updates (which I'm guessing have triggered this problem to be occurring as I haven't changed anything else - which is my reason for generally not installing updates unless I'm having a problem with the current version I'm on; in my experience, they tend to cause more problems than they solve).

Feb 7, 2018 5:16 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX. I'll try updating Safari. I don't have any third-party browser plug-ins, and I've already tried clearing my browser history/cache. Not sure how I would have malware, as I don't download any torrents or go to any sites that would be expected to have malware, but I'll try that as well.

As for the High Sierra updates, I don't have any software updates available... It's showing as my macOS being up to date since I recently installed the updates to my current version (which I'm guessing have triggered this problem to be occurring as I haven't changed anything else).

Text fields in Safari browser not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.