Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Erase Hard Drive

Due to a phishing scam (Premier Tech Support), I’m trying to erase my hard drive on a 2011 Mac Book Pro. After I boot into Recovery mode and select Mac Utilities, I select Erase, but it fails stating that the disk can’t be unmounted. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 8:52 AM

The FORMAT type is key to the process:

If you need to erase your startup disk, follow these steps:

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your device or volume in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
  4. Complete these fields:
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to install macOS.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 8:52 AM in response to MoonJ.

The FORMAT type is key to the process:

If you need to erase your startup disk, follow these steps:

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your device or volume in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
  4. Complete these fields:
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to install macOS.

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2018 8:45 AM in response to Peetahsee

Hello Peetahsee,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to erase your hard drive on your MacBook Pro as expected. To help with this, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, then try erasing and reformatting your hard drive again.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility
How to reinstall macOS

Cheers!

Can’t Erase Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.