Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting sound from apple tv when plugged directly into monitor

I have older version apple tv with optical audio but was wondering if you can get sound from apple tv when plugged directly into a monitor rather than a tv? Thanks

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 10:48 AM

You will need a TOSlink optical lead and, if you don't already have one, an RCA jack to RCA jack (phono plug) audio lead. Neither usually comes with the converter. You plug the TOSlink cable into the ATV and the converter's input, and the RCA jack lead from its output to your amplifier.

5 replies

Feb 8, 2018 1:27 AM in response to vazandrew

Thank you, I'm not sure if this means yes, you can get sound or no, you can't get sound. The Apple TV works well when plugged into a television but I was wondering how can I get sound from it when plugged directly into a monitor. Is there something I can use to connect to the optical audio connection e.g. a speaker? or does anyone have any advice on what I would need to buy? Thanks

Getting sound from apple tv when plugged directly into monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.