Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will optimizing photos on the iPhone degrade the quality of photos downloaded by Photos on the Mac?

I use the Photos application on my Mac to make prints and photo books, and therefore I want the highest resolution photos in my Photos library on my Mac.

I import photos from my iPhone to my Mac using Photos via physically plugging the phone into my Mac.

If I use the Optimize Photos, I understand that I will no longer have full resolution photos on my iPhone. Does that mean that when I import photos from my iPhone to my Mac, that the imported photos will not be full resolution either?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 11:56 AM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2018 12:03 PM in response to EvanleavingHavana

The capability to optimize photos is only available when you use iCloud Photo Library and as documented ICPL always keeps the full resolution original - if yu are using ICPL then you do not directly import photos form your IOS devices, you use ICPL to sync them to the Mac and other devices

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps every photo and video you take in iCloud, so you can access your library from any device, anytime you want. Any changes you make to your collection on one device, change on your other devices too. Your photos and videos stay organized into Moments, Collections, and Years. And all of your Memories and People are updated everywhere. That way you can quickly find the moment, family member, or friend you're looking for.

LN

Feb 9, 2018 10:50 AM in response to EvanleavingHavana

Hmm. I don't use iCloud Photo Library on my Mac, just on my iPhone, so they do not directly sync together.

If you use "Optimize Storage" and iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, it is not possible to import the photos using a USB connection to import directly from the iPhone. The import panel in Photos will only show the photos that are currently not optimized. The optimized versions will not be shown. It will be a pain to keep rack of what you already imported. I would not use "Optimize Storage" on the iPhone, if you do not use iCloud Photo Library on the Mac as well, because it will be too difficult to backup the photos from your iPhone. The iCloud backup of your iPhone will not include the photos and you cannot transfer them easily to your computer.

Will optimizing photos on the iPhone degrade the quality of photos downloaded by Photos on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.