Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mac audio lag?

Hello everyone ^-^

I've been playing around with the HomePod all day and loving it for music, use with iOS and tvOS it sound amazing. Tho I've been having a issue with it on macOS.

It works if I connect the HomePod via iTunes (airplay menu) but when I select the HomePod as a audio output there seems to be a small amount of lag with the audio of about 1 to 2 seconds with videos and audio from the computer.

Maybe airplay 2 will fix this issue?

Thank you for the time and I hope you have a great day.

HomePod

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 11:37 AM

It's driving me CRAZY! Bluetooth speakers aren't even this bad... it makes the HomePod completely un-usable for gaming or anything that requires realtime audio. iTunes/Safari is buffering up the audio before it starts playing. I tried AirFoil but can't figure out a solution for this... Apple needs to provide a solution, turn on bluetooth audio or allow realtime streams direct using AirPlay... maybe AirPlay 2 will have an option to eliminate the buffer?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2018 11:37 AM in response to SpiralProduction

It's driving me CRAZY! Bluetooth speakers aren't even this bad... it makes the HomePod completely un-usable for gaming or anything that requires realtime audio. iTunes/Safari is buffering up the audio before it starts playing. I tried AirFoil but can't figure out a solution for this... Apple needs to provide a solution, turn on bluetooth audio or allow realtime streams direct using AirPlay... maybe AirPlay 2 will have an option to eliminate the buffer?

Feb 27, 2018 8:52 AM in response to SpiralProduction

I completely agree. It truly makes my $350+ speaker completely useless for my day to day. I turn it off and use my iMac audio all day when working just so my audio is actually sync'd up with what I'm working on. How could this have been so poorly overlooked? It's wireless basics IMO. Love the sound of the speaker but the lack of integrating it correctly with macOS blows my mind.

Apr 10, 2018 8:40 AM in response to turingtest2

When is Airplay 2 update coming out? Is Apple sure this is the fix? Why has this not been addressed? I have had to resort to hooking up old sound bar back to television for AppleTv 4K as audio lag was seriously driving me crazy. Now Homepod is currently sitting idle. So far very disappointed in HomePod rollout as it seems rushed.

HomePod Mac audio lag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.