Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail- Inbound POP login fails; SMTP login works

Recently I started to have problems with one of my email IDs. Mac Mail shows it offline (tilde). I have four IDs all with the same settings but one fails when it attempts POP3 login to retrieve messages. This ID CAN log in and SEND messages via SMTP. I ran Connection Doctor against a working ID and the failing one. See difference below:

Good ID Failing ID

================= ===============

INITIATING CONNECTION <same

READ / +OK POP3 READY <same

WROTE / CAPA <same

READ / +OK / TOP USER SASL LOGIN PLAIN . <same

WROTE / AUTH PLAIN <same

READ / + <same

WROTE / ****************************************** WROTE / * [mail wrote 1 star only!]

READ / +OK SERVER READY READ / -ERR INVALID COMMAND

WROTE / STAT WROTE / AUTH LOGIN

READ / +OK 498 167672785 READ / -ERR

..more exchanges here... WROTE / QUIT [POP3 Login has failed]

I'm guessing the long string of stars would be the login userID and password, and Mail doesn't send it for the failing ID. I can logon directly to the server with a browser so pswd is good. SMTP login works for all IDs. When you look at mailbox/account parameters they are all identical. Whatsup??

(MacOS 10.13.3; Mail 11.2)

Macmail-OTHER

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 7:27 AM

Call off the dogs!!

Problem went away after responding to logon fail message (which I've done in the past).

Mail also had blanked out the password in Mail > Accounts > userID. Once that was filled in it worked.

Maybe the recovery is to blank out the password, then Get Mail, and respond to the two error messages.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 7:27 AM in response to Venicejim

Call off the dogs!!

Problem went away after responding to logon fail message (which I've done in the past).

Mail also had blanked out the password in Mail > Accounts > userID. Once that was filled in it worked.

Maybe the recovery is to blank out the password, then Get Mail, and respond to the two error messages.

Feb 14, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Venicejim

Call off the dogs!

It is working. I got the normal Login Fail message and replied to it with the correct password. Then Mail put up a window for this userID showing the password had been blanked out - I didn't do it.

maybe the recovery for this is to deliberately go to Mail > Accounts > userID and blank out the password. The do Get Mail and respond to the two error messages. Who knows.

Mac Mail- Inbound POP login fails; SMTP login works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.