Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera connection not supported on iPad Pro

I can connect a midi keyboard to my iPad Pro via a genuine Apple camera connection kit for piano etc in GarageBand.

it works for several minutes the I get the dreaded "accessory not supported" text and it disconnects.

Ths was never an issue in earlier operating systems.

I suspect Apple wants us to buy the new USB3 connection kit? Frustrating...

has anyone else run into this problem?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 11:15 AM

You may need to use the Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connection adapter, now.

There are issues with external audio devices on the iPad Pro since iOS 11 came out.

This isb just one of the plethora of reasons I have not updated my 12.9 inch iPad Pro to iOS 11, to date.

The standard Lightning to USB connection adapter still works for external audio gear on iOS 10.3.3, but appears to no longer work or works sporadically when running iOS 11.

Try the USB 3.0 adapter to see if this solves the issue, or not.

Good Luck to You!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 11:15 AM in response to Jimmy Kahuna

You may need to use the Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connection adapter, now.

There are issues with external audio devices on the iPad Pro since iOS 11 came out.

This isb just one of the plethora of reasons I have not updated my 12.9 inch iPad Pro to iOS 11, to date.

The standard Lightning to USB connection adapter still works for external audio gear on iOS 10.3.3, but appears to no longer work or works sporadically when running iOS 11.

Try the USB 3.0 adapter to see if this solves the issue, or not.

Good Luck to You!

Feb 14, 2018 11:24 AM in response to MichelPM

I hear what you're saying about updates. I have a drawer of dongles that Apple have designated 'obsolete'.

I am still on iOS 10.3 as I don't want my vga adapter to mysteriously become 'not supported 'as well. Adapters are around $100 in New Zealand, so not cheap.

Still got the USB problem with 10.3 but I get a tantalising few minutes of connection so it shows the hardware still works...

Don't know if android is any better?

Feb 14, 2018 3:07 PM in response to Jimmy Kahuna

If your iPad Pro is still on iOS 10.3.3, then your current adapter should still be working.

Maybe the adapter has some hardware issue?

May need a new one? Replacement?

Is your MIDI keyboard power by batteries or direct mains power?

Make sure the keyboard is powered on its own and not trying to be powered from the iPad.

I am still using iOS 10.3.3 on my iPad Pro

I use a portable Korg mini 76 key Micro key Air keyboard that is powered by batteries and plugs in via the standard Lightning to USB adapter and everything works.

But I use Korg’s own iOS Apps and a third party iOS software DAW. Haven’t tested my setup to see if there are any issues with Apple’s last iOS 10.3.3 version of Garageband, though.

Camera connection not supported on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.