Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I convert word files x.doc to x.docx on new iMac

Just purchased new iMAC computer. Put Microsoft Office for mac on it. However, my old Word files extension is .doc (Word 2004) and the new Word software (version 15.4.0) does not open them. How do I safely convert the old Word files (x.doc ) to x.docx ?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 5:39 PM

Well, its time to download and install LIbreOffice. The entire application installs in /Applications, and do not accept to use a Java JRE. Once it is in /Applications, because it didn't come from the Mac App Store, you will need to right-click on the application icon, and choose Open. The macOS Gatekeeper, and MRI functions will sweep the application for known malware, and then this one-time ritual is done. You can then launch the application normally.

RIght-click on your Word .doc file that Word 2016 for Mac won't open, and select LibreOffice from the Open with sub-menu. Once the .doc file is opened, you can File menu : Save As... . Change the File type to Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML (.docx), and click Save. Now, you should be able to open this document with Word 2016 for Mac.

I have version 6.0.1 and it works just fine.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2018 5:39 PM in response to davexoc

Well, its time to download and install LIbreOffice. The entire application installs in /Applications, and do not accept to use a Java JRE. Once it is in /Applications, because it didn't come from the Mac App Store, you will need to right-click on the application icon, and choose Open. The macOS Gatekeeper, and MRI functions will sweep the application for known malware, and then this one-time ritual is done. You can then launch the application normally.

RIght-click on your Word .doc file that Word 2016 for Mac won't open, and select LibreOffice from the Open with sub-menu. Once the .doc file is opened, you can File menu : Save As... . Change the File type to Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML (.docx), and click Save. Now, you should be able to open this document with Word 2016 for Mac.

I have version 6.0.1 and it works just fine.

Feb 14, 2018 7:55 AM in response to davexoc

Word will open both the older .doc type and the newer .docx type. If Word is not opening the documents then there is something wrong with the document. Try just renaming the documents from whatever.doc to whatever.docx.

Please be aware of this if you are not already familiar with it:

Microsoft Office support for macOS 10.13 High Sierra - Office Support

Feb 15, 2018 6:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

OK !!!

I downloaded and installed LibreOffice software. The install worked just fine. I then attempted to open some x.doc files that would not open in the new Microsoft Word program for some reason. I'm very happy to report every one of them opened in LibreOffice and I was able to save them as x.docx documents. And then reopen them in Word.

The only thing now is I have a lot more files to process this way and I don't see a way to batch them.

Thanks again VikingOSX. I'm off and running.

Dave

Feb 15, 2018 9:20 AM in response to davexoc

LibreOffice has a command-line feature that would allow you to specify wild-card (*.doc) files on the command-line, and write their *.docx counterparts into the current working directory, or a designated directory location. This all runs headless in the Terminal, so LibreOffice itself is never seen on the screen.

Here is the Bash function that I have declared in my ~/.bashrc file that gets loaded via ~/.bash_profile each time I launch Terminal.

Bash function (Scrollable)

to_docx () { for file in "$@" ; do if [ -s $file ]; then /Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to docx:"MS Word 2007 XML" "${file}" else printf "\n%s\n\n" ">>> $file not found or zero length." continue fi done }

There is another option to soffice which is --outdir (e.g. --outdir ~/Desktop) which should be the last entry before the input file (which also can be (~) relative addressing). So, whether you want a Bash shell function, or transplant the code into a Bash script or a drag & drop Automator application (Run Shell Script) — this should help you automate the conversion of .doc to .docx.

In my .bash_profile:

[[ -s ~/.bashrc ]] && source ~/.bashrc

How can I convert word files x.doc to x.docx on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.