Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not import Imovie file from Iphone to Macbook

I export the video project from my iPhone 7 via airdrop. I get a file on my desktop that is named "mymovie.imoviemobile" and when I try to import it I get an error:

"Error in iOS Project Import

Failed to import the selected iOS project file. Please try again"

And I've tried again and again. Double clicking it the iOS movie file or "importing iOs project" it is the same error.

I´ve currently used:

iOS 11.2.2 / iMovie 2.2.4

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 / iMovie 10.1.8

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 1:54 PM

19 replies

Feb 15, 2018 12:15 PM in response to MrKiet

Here are the instructions for sharing your IOS iMovie. Is this how you did it?

1. To open the Projects browser, tap Projects at the top of the screen.If you don’t see Projects at the top of the screen, tap Done or User uploaded file until it appears.
  2. Scroll the projects, then tap one to see project details.
  3. In the project details screen, tap the Share button User uploaded file, then tap one of the following options:
    • AirDrop: Share wirelessly to a nearby Mac using AirDrop.
    • iTunes: Transfer the file to a Mac using iTunes and a USB cable connection.
    • iCloud Drive: Save the file to iCloud Drive and retrieve it with your Mac.
    Note: For more information about each of these methods, see Share to other devices or apps.
  4. When prompted, choose the iMovie Project option (not the Video File option).
  5. When the project file has finished copying, locate it on your Mac.Note: By default, AirDrop transfers appear in your Downloads folder. Projects sent to iCloud Drive appear in the iMovie folder in iCloud Drive.
  6. On your Mac, double-click the iMovie for iOS project file to import your project into iMovie for Mac.Important: This step requires iMovie for Mac 10.1 or later.All of your editing decisions, retiming changes, effects, filters, titles, and theme music choices are retained in the project when you open it in iMovie for Mac.
  7. Here are the instructions for importing to iMovie on your Mac.

Import an iMovie for iOS project

1. Choose File > Import iMovie iOS Projects.
  2. Navigate to the location of the iMovie for iOS project you want to import, and select it.
  3. If you have more than one library open in iMovie, click the Library pop-up menu at the bottom of the window and choose the library you want to import the project into.User uploaded file
  4. Click Import.
  5. Just posted these so you can make sure your workflow is correct. If so and still can't open your project try opening iMovie on your Mac holding down the command and option keys and select to delete preferences. Then reopen your library and try the import again.

Feb 15, 2018 12:30 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Thanks Jim,

Yes, the way I share My Project from my Iphone to my Mac Air and the way I import my Project to iMovie on my Mac were exactly as what you say, as well as Delete preferences. But it's still not working.

Before my Iphone was updated (sorry I don't remember exactly which ios and imovie version), I imported and worked with my project from iphone in my Mac more often and they work very well.

The current version of my gears:

iOS 11.2.2 / iMovie 2.2.4

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 / iMovie 10.1.8

Feb 15, 2018 2:08 PM in response to MrKiet

Sorry the problem is not solved. The only thoughts I have that you might still try are:

1. Update your phone to 11.2.5.

2. Create a new short project on your phone and see if iMovie will import it. This would eliminate the possibility of a corrupted project.

3. Create a new Library in iMovie on your Mac and see if you can import into that Library.

That's about all I can think of at this point to try. Hope you find the solution.

Feb 20, 2018 2:03 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Thanks Jim,

After updating my phone to 11.2.5 and also trying to create one short project (including 2 clips with total time 2m55s), sharing via Airdrop. My Mac still don't read this project.
If could, can I send you my project and can you helf me to open it by your Mac, so that we can see whether there's a problem from the project or not!
Thank you!

Feb 23, 2018 7:50 PM in response to MrKiet

Sorry to say, but it will not import for me either. Tried to import both from the iMovie file menu and from right clicking the file and choosing open in iMovie. In both cases the import bar gets about halfway across and then throws an error message, unable to import. Either there is a problem with the file or an incompatibility with 10.1.8. Is your iMovie for iOS up to date? Is 2.2.4 the latest version?

Feb 27, 2018 11:57 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Thank you so much Jim,
now we know that the problem come from the project. All my app and OS are the lattest version. iOS 11.2.2 and iMovie 2.2.4

At first i thought that the problem was the type from my videos (HEVC), but when I updated my iMovie on Macbook, which say that compatible with HEVC, it's still unreadable
Do you know how can we report this problem to Apple?

Feb 28, 2018 5:35 PM in response to MrKiet

You may have identified the problem when you mention HEVC codec. You need High Sierra to read HEVC files and you said that you have Sierra 10.12.6. You can try going into settings on your phone and into camera and choose H-264 instead of HEVC for new videos. For existing HEVC videos in settings select most compatible for sharing and it will share using H-264, Hope this helps. To send a report to Apple go to the iMOvie menu item and select provide iMovie feedback.

Can not import Imovie file from Iphone to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.