Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing an Airport Extreme for a Time Capsule

I have been using an Airport Extreme (current model) as my wi-fi router for a while.

I decided to get a Time Capsule because I keep forgetting to turn on my backup drive (doh).

I set the Time Capsule to 'Extend a wireless network' and let Time Machine complete a full new backup.

So, I remove the Extreme and connect the Time Capsule to the modem and cables exactly the same way as the Extreme.

Time capsule just sits with Amber flashing. Can't see it with Airport Utility (newest version).

Connect it all back up the way it works and try to set the Time Capsule to 'Create a wireless network'. I can't set the Router Mode out of 'Off Bridge Mode'.

Now I am totally lost... Any ideas?

Thanks.

SGC

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 7:26 AM

If you want to set up the AirPort Time Capsule as your "main" WiFi router, you will need to....

Power off the AirPort Extreme and set it aside for now

Reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings using a Hard Reset, connect it to your modem, and then set up the Time Capsule to provide your wireless network. You can use the same wireless network name and password that the AirPort Extreme was using, and also use the same device name that you originally assigned to the Time Capsule.

Once the Time Capsule is set up and working, you will need to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings using a Hard Reset and then set it up to extend the network. Ideally, the AirPort Extreme would connect back to the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, but it could also be set up to wirelessly extend the network from the Time Capsule (with a significant loss of potential network speed).

A Hard Reset is performed by powering up the AirPort device for a minute or two, then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 7-8 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart back to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2018 7:26 AM in response to MacMini2054

If you want to set up the AirPort Time Capsule as your "main" WiFi router, you will need to....

Power off the AirPort Extreme and set it aside for now

Reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings using a Hard Reset, connect it to your modem, and then set up the Time Capsule to provide your wireless network. You can use the same wireless network name and password that the AirPort Extreme was using, and also use the same device name that you originally assigned to the Time Capsule.

Once the Time Capsule is set up and working, you will need to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings using a Hard Reset and then set it up to extend the network. Ideally, the AirPort Extreme would connect back to the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, but it could also be set up to wirelessly extend the network from the Time Capsule (with a significant loss of potential network speed).

A Hard Reset is performed by powering up the AirPort device for a minute or two, then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 7-8 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart back to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Changing an Airport Extreme for a Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.