Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos location is wrong

I just shot 34 photos with my iPhone 6 and imported them into Photos version 1.0.1. on my Macbook Pro.

30 of the photos are correctly tagged with (very close to) my current location but the last four are tagged as "Osh, Kyrgyzstan".

I last visited Kyrgyzstan in 1999 - long before I had ever heard of an iPhone.

Is it possible the phone has been hacked? Or is it a gremlin that there is a fix for? And if so, where would I find it?

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 7:05 AM

It may be many things including Apple database error and GPS error among others - export the unmodified original (file menu ==> export) and look at the EXIF/IPTC GPS fields using the Preview inspector and see if they are correct or not

Unfortunately because you are so far behind on upgrades the version of Photos you have has no ability to deal with locations - It has been so long that I am not sure but I think that EL Captain can set locations - certainly the current software (High Sierra) handles locations just fine

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2018 7:05 AM in response to clayba

It may be many things including Apple database error and GPS error among others - export the unmodified original (file menu ==> export) and look at the EXIF/IPTC GPS fields using the Preview inspector and see if they are correct or not

Unfortunately because you are so far behind on upgrades the version of Photos you have has no ability to deal with locations - It has been so long that I am not sure but I think that EL Captain can set locations - certainly the current software (High Sierra) handles locations just fine

LN

Feb 18, 2018 7:05 AM in response to clayba

Sometimes there is a transmission error and the sign of the latitude or longitude flip, and then Phots will show a location in a different hemisphere.

Looking up the GPS coordinates for Osh, Kyrgyzstan results in 40.5356648°N 72.8040088° E.

If I change the sign of the longitude from 72.8040088° E to 72.8040088° W, the coordinate will be a place close to New York in the United States.

Could be such a simple switch of the sign of the longitude or latitude?

Photos location is wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.