Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded Photos from iCloud are Down sized?

I back up my iPhone photos to several services including iCloud,

When I download photos from iCloud to my Windows 10 thru iCloud.com I get a 2048 x 1536 jpg

W hen I download from Dropbox, Google Photos and Prime Photos I get 4032 x 3024 jpg files

Google Photos download is in HEIC format - when I convert it to JPG I get the full resolution (4032 x 3024.

File Sizes of downloads of same photo from each service:

iCloud 1,520KB (JPG)

Google 2,514KB (HEIC) Converted to 5,239KB (JPG)

Dropbox 5,281KB (JPG)

Prime (Amazon) 4,428KB (JPG)

What's going on? Anyone else see this?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 3:35 PM

iCloud does not seem to provide HEIC formated files - It provides me half-size JPG files.

Apparently I'm doing something wrong when I download photos from my iCloud.com

Hopeing someone can point me in the right direction.

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 18, 2018 6:18 PM in response to Eric Root

I am not downloading from a shared album and why should ANY download have the resolution reduced.

Makes no sense. It appears they may be downsized when sent to iCloud.

I use backups to safeguard my original photos.

At first I thought that the reduced size was do to edits I made (cropping) on the iPhone or iPad - but verified that virgin photos were cut to half the original resolution - when downloaded from iCould - using the Cloud button.

Try it yourself - I'm using Windows 10 - maybe it's different for folks using Mac desktops or Laptops.

Feb 18, 2018 7:13 PM in response to jimshy

why should ANY download have the resolution reduced.

Shared albums have their size adjusted. This is by design as they are hosted on Apple's servers at no financial cost to you. The "cost" of that is a reduced size. Videos are resized as well and limited to 5 minutes.

I use backups to safeguard my original photos.

And that is wise, but using Apple's shared albums as a backup is not.

Feb 18, 2018 10:34 PM in response to jimshy

- Regarding using Windows 10 for iCloud, I have tried it and utilize it daily just as I do on my Apple devices.

- ICloud and its features suit my needs really well in many ways and across platforms which is vital to my work and personal needs. And, one of those features I find to be a huge asset, is the fact that iCloud holds my full resolution photos or what I call "the heavy stuff" so that my devices are free from that weight and storage, yet I have the visual quality I want on my devices.

- Regarding backing up, I am one who quite depends on iCloud to backup my data, and I pay for an upgraded plan to hold, sync, and backup all of it. However, I also backup to external storage drives, iTunes, as well as Google photos & drive which syncs to my gmail accounts I designate & assign for specific purposes. I've gone through a hurricane in which it wiped everything out and I lost everything. So, I learned the hard way to backup daily, using different means and methods. The only salvageable photos were those uploaded to a server.

- With that in mind, I'm very confident in using iCloud's backup feature and know how it functions in correlation to it being a syncing service as well. Regardless, I also know that I could make a random mistake for example and possibly put my iCloud backup at risk or lose data. So, I have backup plans for my backups. Love iCloud's secure server and am reassured my data is safe, but that still doesn't ensure my own human error. Thus, I make sure I have my documents and photos backed up via other means as well.

Bottom line - iCloud definitely holds my full resolution photos, so not sure why yours may not be. At this point, weigh your options, go with what suits your specific needs, and backup in another manner or two to ensure safe keeping.

Hope the above details help a bit & take care ~

Feb 19, 2018 8:28 AM in response to jimshy

Not using Shared Folders - I too pay Apple for the Storage.

I understand that and saw your earlier response,

You suggested that no downloads should be downsized. I pointed out that shared albums do not not contain full size photos.

If iCloud does not contain your full sized photos, there is no explanation. It is designed to.

Downloaded Photos from iCloud are Down sized?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.