Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to attach a music file to an email message?

Is there any way to access my music files outside of the Music app? I want to attach a music file from my library to an email message.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.5, None

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 6:28 PM

You cannot send a file from the Music Library on your iOS device. You can send a link to a song from the Music app however:

1. Open the Music app, and tap on the song you want to send and start playing it, so you can see the Player at the bottom of the screen:

User uploaded file

2. Tap on the Player to open the Now Playing view, and tap on the three dots:

User uploaded file

3. On the options screen that opens when you tap on the three dots, tap on Share Song or Share Album:

User uploaded file

4. When the share options screen displays, tap on the Mail icon to open the email app with the attached link for the song:

User uploaded file

Cheers,

GB

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2018 6:28 PM in response to docfi

You cannot send a file from the Music Library on your iOS device. You can send a link to a song from the Music app however:

1. Open the Music app, and tap on the song you want to send and start playing it, so you can see the Player at the bottom of the screen:

User uploaded file

2. Tap on the Player to open the Now Playing view, and tap on the three dots:

User uploaded file

3. On the options screen that opens when you tap on the three dots, tap on Share Song or Share Album:

User uploaded file

4. When the share options screen displays, tap on the Mail icon to open the email app with the attached link for the song:

User uploaded file

Cheers,

GB

Feb 18, 2018 8:07 PM in response to docfi

I think ChrisJ4203 has added yet more clarity to what's going on. As a result of that post, I tried the following:

I do subscribe to iTunes Match. I have used iTunes Match to improve the fidelity of some of my old songs I had ripped from CDs. So all the music available in the iTunes Store that I have was either purchased in iTunes by me or downloaded from the iTunes Music Library as a result of having been matched in iTunes.

I opened iTunes 12.7.3 (current version) on my Mac (using MacOS 10.13.3). When I control-click (like a right-click in Windows) on a song I purchased in iTunes and choose "Song Info" from the drop-down, I see the following "Share Song" options:

User uploaded file

But when I control-click on a song I ripped from a CD and matched using iTunes Match, I see no "Share Song" option whatsoever!

You had said "I'm finding a lot of limitations on the iPad and iOS when compared to a Mac and MacOS 10.13.3." It appears this is not one of these limitations.

Feb 18, 2018 6:28 PM in response to docfi

FYI, I see exactly what gail from maine shows in her screen shots and explains so well.

Perhaps you should tell us what you've set up regarding options. I'm especially puzzled by the fact that gail from maine and I see "Remove" with a trash can, while you say you see "Delete from Library." There must be some basic function we have set differently than you, assuming you're using iOS 11.2.5. Perhaps it's iCloud Music Library, Apple Music, access to the iTunes Store or something like that.

Feb 18, 2018 6:27 PM in response to sberman

I think that the reason I don’t see a share option is that I am not an Apple Music member and all of my songs have been imported from sources other than Apple Music. I‘m finding a lot of limitations on the iPad and iOS when compared to a Mac and Mac OS 10.13.3. I guess my expectations were not realistic. I had high hopes for the Files app, but have found it to be restrictive.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Feb 18, 2018 6:36 PM in response to docfi

I just checked my iTunes music library and I can confirm what the others are saying. If I try to see Share with music I have ripped from my personal CDs, I do not see it. However if I check an album that I have purchased/downloaded from iTunes, the option is available. So, it appears that it has to do with where the music comes from. I am not using Apple Music either, but I have purchased several albums from iTunes.

Feb 18, 2018 9:44 PM in response to docfi

docfi wrote:

I think that the reason I don’t see a share option is that I am not an Apple Music member and all of my songs have been imported from sources other than Apple Music.

So, as Chris and sberman have verified, you won't see the option with music you have not purchased.

However, you do not need to be an Apple Music member. Any music that you have purchased via iTunes will work as I described.

docfi wrote:

I had high hopes for the Files app, but have found it to be restrictive.

Can you explain what issues you have run into using the Files app?

Cheers,

GB

How to attach a music file to an email message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.