Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force login page on unsecured wifi network.

I am staying in a hotel for an extended period of time. I was able to connect to the unsecured wifi on my first day, but have been unable to connect since. There is no password. When I connect on my iPhone and iPad, a browser window pops up to ask me to click "accept" to their terms and conditions. Once I click "accept," I am connected and can browse freely.

I am unable to get the browser window to pop up on my MacBook Pro. I have cleared all cache, cookies, and browsing history, I have tried forgetting the network entirely, I have tried restarting and a hard shutdown of my computer, I have tried typing the network address into my browser window, and I have tried forgetting the network and turning off wifi on both my iPhone and iPad. Nothing works.

I have confirmed this is not a hardware problem - I have no trouble connecting to my Verizon mobile hotspot, nor any other networks when I leave the hotel.

Please help!

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 7:55 AM

No, I did this:

1. Turn off wifi
  2. Open a terminal and enter:
    ifconfig
  3. It will list your interfaces include something along these lines:

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 ether d2:00:3d:71:51:05 ...

The six pairs of hex digits separated by colon are the MAC address. en0 is usually the primary network interface and your wifi. Tweak the last digit (e.g. by adding one to it as I have below) and enter this line into terminal to soft change the MAC address (it will prompt for your login/admin password):

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr d2:00:3d:71:51:06

Then turn wifi back on and connect to the hotel wifi. It should bring up the login prompt as if you are a new user.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No, I did this:

1. Turn off wifi
  2. Open a terminal and enter:
    ifconfig
  3. It will list your interfaces include something along these lines:

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 ether d2:00:3d:71:51:05 ...

The six pairs of hex digits separated by colon are the MAC address. en0 is usually the primary network interface and your wifi. Tweak the last digit (e.g. by adding one to it as I have below) and enter this line into terminal to soft change the MAC address (it will prompt for your login/admin password):

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr d2:00:3d:71:51:06

Then turn wifi back on and connect to the hotel wifi. It should bring up the login prompt as if you are a new user.

Force login page on unsecured wifi network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.