Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still reply to texts if i don't have cellular or internet on Apple watch 3

I am looking at getting my boyfriend an apple watch but his phone carrier aren't yet connected to the apple watch. I was looking at getting him a Apple watch 3 but he works on a building site with no Wifi will he still be able to text me through his watch?? Thank you

Apple Watch Series 3

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 6:49 AM

As referenced in my previous reply, if the Apple Watch is connected, via Bluetooth, to the paired iPhone and if the paired iPhone has access to cellular service, then the Apple Watch can certainly be used to make and receive phone calls and to send and receive messages.

You do not necessarily need to have your iPhone on or immediately around you (within arm's reach, for example) for the devices to establish and maintain their Bluetooth connection. Normal Bluetooth range is around 33 feet / 10 meters (this will vary in practice due to wireless interference).

More information:

About Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Apple Watch - Apple Support

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 6:49 AM in response to Sky2005

As referenced in my previous reply, if the Apple Watch is connected, via Bluetooth, to the paired iPhone and if the paired iPhone has access to cellular service, then the Apple Watch can certainly be used to make and receive phone calls and to send and receive messages.

You do not necessarily need to have your iPhone on or immediately around you (within arm's reach, for example) for the devices to establish and maintain their Bluetooth connection. Normal Bluetooth range is around 33 feet / 10 meters (this will vary in practice due to wireless interference).

More information:

About Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2018 6:34 AM in response to Sky2005

Hi

There are two different versions of Apple Watch Series 3:

All models of Apple Watch can be used to send and receive texts and to make and receive calls when your iPhone is nearby and connected to a cellular network and, potentially, also under other certain other circumstances (see below):

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS)

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) models do not have a built-in cellular capability.

Any calls or data-related services are routed either via the paired iPhone or via a direct connection between the watch and a compatible Wi-Fi network (when the watch cannot connect to the paired iPhone via Bluetooth).

A separate cellular plan for the Apple Watch is not required.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) can be used in conjunction with an iPhone 5s or newer model of iPhone (running the latest version of iOS) and a service plan for the iPhone from any carrier.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)

In respect of data usage, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) also always first tries to use the Bluetooth connection to your iPhone (which does not require a separate plan for the watch) or, in the absence of that, any available connection to a compatible Wi-Fi network.

If neither of those is available, then Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) has a built-in cellular capability that, under certain circumstances, can enable certain features, which are not available on GPS-only models, to remain available when the watch is used without the iPhone nearby.

The feature involves the built-in eSIM / embedded SIM card in the Apple Watch copying information from the paired iPhone's SIM card, including using the same phone number.

The feature requires a carrier plan for your iPhone that specifically includes support for the Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), including the carrier activating the device on the plan:

An activation fee and ongoing monthly cost may apply - contact your carrier for details:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can also be used without enabling the built-in cellular feature, in which case it functions like a GPS-only model and can be used in conjunction with a service plan for iPhone 6 or newer model of iPhone, running the latest version of iOS, from any carrier, with no need to activate the watch on the plan.

All models

The functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from your iPhone depend on various factors including:

The features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within footnote #1 in respect of text messages:

Feb 19, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Sky2005

Rest assured that my reply - which, as you kindly noted, explained the iPhone-related requirements - is definitely correct. 🙂

As previously referenced, but buried a little in the details, be sure to keep in mind when buying your generous gift of an Apple Watch that:

• Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or newer model of iPhone running the latest version of iOS 11.x.
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) and all other Apple Watch models requires an iPhone 5s or newer model of iPhone running the latest version of iOS 11.x.

More information and pairing instructions:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2018 7:10 AM in response to Csound1

As I hoped to explain within my previous replies, the Apple Watch does not need to have the built-in cellular feature enabled (which is not possible, because, as referenced within the question, the carrier does not currently support that feature).

Nor does the Apple Watch need to be connected to Wi-Fi (which is not available, also as referenced within the question).

The functionality is instead enabled via the watch's Bluetooth connection with the paired iPhone and the iPhone's own cellular connection. The title and body of the question appear to indicate that it is the Apple Watch, not the iPhone, that cannot connect directly to cellular.

Neither magic nor semaphore flags are required.

Feb 19, 2018 7:23 AM in response to Csound1

Clearly I should have put iPhone, in my question. Jonathan stated iPhone in the reply. If it was not an iPhone then your reply would be acceptable I assume. As clearly, I am unaware how it all works. I am hoping Jonathan's advice is correct with it being an iPhone in question.

This is just an error on my behalf.

Can I still reply to texts if i don't have cellular or internet on Apple watch 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.