Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does your Apple Watch randomly reboot?

I have a Apple Watch series 3 with LTE and I’ve observed my watch reboot to the Apple logo 2 times since I’ve had it over the past 3 months. That’s not to say it’s happened more as I don’t look at it every second. The first time was when I had it on a charger. The second while I was wearing it the other day. I contacted Apple care and the guy had me unpair and re pair my watch amongst other things. When I tried to unpair I receive the following error message. It’s funny cause it tells me to go to my settings on my watch to reset it but I can’t because it asks me to re pair my phone to my watch. This happens every time I select reset on my iPhone Watch app. When the Apple advisor had me run a diagnostic on my watch it got stuck trying to run and I was unable to disconnect on my watch and phone causing me to have to reboot my phone. Once I did that I reset my watch again. If I do a reset on the settings from my watch, the error message doesn’t occur. Only happens if I select reset from my phone. Anyways after all this the Apple advisor ran a diagnostic check and said everything checked out fine. The problem is that once you reset/unpair your phone, the data from your phone crashing resets. So she was unable to determine the cause of my crash. Anyone else experience similar issues?

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 7:09 AM

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next) - I appreciate that you may have already tried some of them, but it may help to try them again in conjunction with the other suggestions:

Check that, in respect of the instances that occur during wear, you are not accidentally force restarting your Apple Watch:

• If your watch is worn too close to your hand, the Digital Crown and side button may be pressed and held down by the back of your hand when flexing your wrist.
  • It may help to wear your watch a little further up your arm and/or with the buttons on the other side:
    • To change the configuration: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

• Turn both devices off together, then restart your iPhone first:

• Check for any known issues with any third-party apps that you may have noticed are specifically affected by consulting the developers' support resources and/or contacting the developers.

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch again:

Test by changing notification settings and/or by removing watch face complications and third-party apps:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for further assistance:

Similar questions

3 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 7:09 AM in response to FatalJRA78

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next) - I appreciate that you may have already tried some of them, but it may help to try them again in conjunction with the other suggestions:

Check that, in respect of the instances that occur during wear, you are not accidentally force restarting your Apple Watch:

• If your watch is worn too close to your hand, the Digital Crown and side button may be pressed and held down by the back of your hand when flexing your wrist.
    • It may help to wear your watch a little further up your arm and/or with the buttons on the other side:
      • To change the configuration: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

• Turn both devices off together, then restart your iPhone first:

• Check for any known issues with any third-party apps that you may have noticed are specifically affected by consulting the developers' support resources and/or contacting the developers.

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch again:

Test by changing notification settings and/or by removing watch face complications and third-party apps:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for further assistance:

Feb 19, 2018 12:49 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks Jonathan. I have read many people experiencing similar issues with their watches rebooting. Mine has only happened twice to my knowledge or at least that I’ve observed. I do have Apple care and have done all the listed items you suggested. If it happens again I’ll conract them. I have read that some people still experience the issue on their replacement watches as well. I hope that wouldn’t be the case

Does your Apple Watch randomly reboot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.