Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently delete a free book from iBooks and iCloud

I have an iPhone 5 SE with iOS 11.2.5

I have already tried to delete my iBooks though the app and I’ve followed the steps of how to delete iBooks from the app and iCloud through Apple support. Here is the link https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205751

But all my phone says is “Remove Dowload” and so I click that but then just a little cloud with a down arrow pops up. I haven’t paid any money for these books, they were free books and I no longer want them. I would like to permanently delete them.

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 11:25 PM

I figured my question out myself. I download iTunes for my Windows computer and went to the Audiobook store (select Audiobooks instead of Music with the up and down arrows in the right hand corner of your screen. And then click Store instead of Library, (in the top middle of your screen). The newest version of iTunes doesn’t have an iBooks option only Audiobooks but it has your iBook purchases listed in the Audiobooks store and I followed these instructions from this post. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5491976

If anyone needs clarification-I had trouble understanding it-I would be happy to help. :D

By the way the post says in STEP 3 there is a delete option but it didn’t list that for me, it only listed a “hide” option or “cancel”. Click the “hide” option. I know I didn’t want to hide my iBooks. I wanted to delete them. It still does delete them because when I went to the iBooks store I searched in the iBooks I purchased but it no longer said “Read” it wanted me to purchase the books again. Hope this helps. :)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2018 11:25 PM in response to wlsquirrel

I figured my question out myself. I download iTunes for my Windows computer and went to the Audiobook store (select Audiobooks instead of Music with the up and down arrows in the right hand corner of your screen. And then click Store instead of Library, (in the top middle of your screen). The newest version of iTunes doesn’t have an iBooks option only Audiobooks but it has your iBook purchases listed in the Audiobooks store and I followed these instructions from this post. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5491976

If anyone needs clarification-I had trouble understanding it-I would be happy to help. :D

By the way the post says in STEP 3 there is a delete option but it didn’t list that for me, it only listed a “hide” option or “cancel”. Click the “hide” option. I know I didn’t want to hide my iBooks. I wanted to delete them. It still does delete them because when I went to the iBooks store I searched in the iBooks I purchased but it no longer said “Read” it wanted me to purchase the books again. Hope this helps. :)

Feb 19, 2018 11:53 AM in response to Limnos

Yeah, I know what you mean by confusing. I really appreciate you helping me out.

Okay so how do I delete it? Was it the link you sent me before? Will it still the show the cloud little icon beside the book?

I have one more thing to say https://www.any-data-recovery.com/ios-manager/how-to-permanently-delete-books-fr om-ibooks-on-iphone-ipad.html

I followed Part 1 and even downloaded the FREE SLEPPY HOLLOW book it shows for an example on how to delete. But I don’t get that option of Delete from all Devices. Why not? I just get Remove Dowload.

Feb 19, 2018 11:37 AM in response to Limnos

Okay thank you for answering.

I know I can hide them. But I don’t want to hide them. I would like to delete them from all my devices. It is possible. The Apple support link I sent shows it.

Do you know why my phone is saying Remove Dowload when the steps in that Apple support link I sent are saying delete from all devices? I would like that option.

Feb 19, 2018 11:41 AM in response to wlsquirrel

Last week I spent an hour viewing all the various documents that Apple has about deleting and hiding. I ended up with a headache. Some things are flat out contradictory. Others are simply misleading or at best confusing. 😠

For your device you can delete it from the device and it hides in your download list but not your list of purchases.

How do I permanently delete a free book from iBooks and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.