You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blurry text with non retina displays

Hi

Has anyone found a fix for the blurry font situation in macOS when run on non retina displays? This applies to both external as well as internal (MBA) displays with PPI below 200.

I remember reading last year that the focus on retina screens (around when Maverics came out IIRC) lead to complete disregard to how the system looks on anything that isn't classified as retina. And this is what I'm facing now. I need an external monitor since the 15inch MBP is too small for my current needs but the jagged and blurry mess that is shown on the screen is borderline ridiculous.

It seems that my options are either to buy an iMac with 27inch screen, or buy a 5k external screen. Or switch to Windows which funnily enough when run on the same 15inch MBP connected to the same external monitor looks perfectly fine, both as bootcamp and as remote desktop session within MacOS.

Before anyone comments saying that my settings must be wrong, they are fine. The output is RGB and the fact that Windows run within remote desktop looks great is a proof. Plus I have a 13 inch MBA and the jagged blurry mess is present there too.

Thanks in advance for any reasonable suggestions.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), also MacOS 10.13.3 and Win 8.1Pro

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 3:17 PM

Alright, there are some tweaks to system defaults which change system font aliasing level and I managed to get it to look better, still not perfect but not as bad as it was before.

Similar questions

1 reply

Blurry text with non retina displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.