Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iPhone 6 via iTunes

RE: iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.6

iTunes 12.7.3.46

REF: How to backup your iPhone 6 with iCloud and iTunes - YouTube

The above video shows backup to 'this computer' asking 2 questions (via dialogs). The first is backup applications.

I do NOT get the 2 questions, but did complete iPhone backup.

So, were my apps backed up?

ALSO: Apps does NOT display as shown in video. See screenshots below.

Screenshots from video:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Screenshots of my iPhone 6 on iTunes:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 10:43 AM

That video is not from Apple. Here is an Apple support document that details backing up your iPhone to either iTunes or iCloud. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies

Feb 22, 2018 8:40 AM in response to Ed Redondo

That video is old. It's out of date. Apps are not part of the backup. Since the advent of app thinning, it has not been possible to transfer apps purchased on the phone to the iTunes library because the downloaded apps are not complete. They only contain the resources necessary for that device. The latest version of iTunes has removed the ability to manage apps on iOS devices from iTunes.

Feb 21, 2018 9:41 AM in response to Ed Redondo

Apps are no longer accessible from iTunes. Your apps are available by going to the App Store and you can redownload them if necessary. Depending on how the developer configures the app, any data within the app may be contained in your backup. You would have to consult the app developer to see if they have their app configured to be part of the iTunes and/or iCloud backup routine.

Backup iPhone 6 via iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.