Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not getting texts from androids

My iPhone 6s is not getting texts from androids. I have googled the issue and done everything I have found- removed and reinserted my SIM card, reset carrier settings, reset all settings, powered down my phone. Nothing seems to work. It is extremely frustrating since I have friends and family with androids and we can’t text each other. Anyone have any other ideas?

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 4:46 PM

Text messages from non-iOS devices are SMS. They are controlled by your cellular carrier, and there is no setting on the iPhone that controls them. You need to contact your carrier to ensure that your account includes an SMS plan. It is possible that your carrier may need to reset yours, but there is nothing that you can do on the phone itself to change the sending/receiving of SMS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2018 4:46 PM in response to jillfromgrinnell

Text messages from non-iOS devices are SMS. They are controlled by your cellular carrier, and there is no setting on the iPhone that controls them. You need to contact your carrier to ensure that your account includes an SMS plan. It is possible that your carrier may need to reset yours, but there is nothing that you can do on the phone itself to change the sending/receiving of SMS.

Feb 20, 2018 7:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

"... there is nothing that you can do on the phone itself to change the sending/receiving of SMS."

Not quite true:

You MUST also verify that Settings, Cellular, Cellular Data is set ON...

User uploaded file

If Cellular Data is not set ON, incoming SMS messages will NOT be received, and outgoing SMS messages will NOT be sent.

(iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.6)

Feb 21, 2018 12:00 PM in response to kostby

Your welcome. Generally when an iPhone user cannot receive SMS/MMS, it is a problem with their account provisioning at the provider. They may just need to get the account reset at the provider side. If you do not have an SMS/MMS plan as part of your cellular account, you would not receive SMS from the Android user. And it generally isn't whether it is SMS or MMS, it is about the account. However, if they do not have cellular data turned on, then they would not be able to receive MMS.

not getting texts from androids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.