Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen Iphone

Hello! Im very upset!! My iphone was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I had the lost mode on and it displayed my phone number. Obviously the thief had the iphone off so I couldnt track it.

So today I got a scam text message indicating that my iphone was found. I fell for it and introduced my icloud username and password. I got an email that my icloud was beign accessed via computer and inmediately changed the password. Soon I realized it was a scam abd afterwards I was not able to see my iphone on find my iphone, it was definitely removed. What Im figuring out is that it was done via computer; because my iphone had lost mode.

So my questions are:

1. Are the able to change the unlock passcode via icloud? I had a six digit code.

2. If I changed the icloud password they do not have access to my icloud information right? I believe they had time to remove the lost mode and erase the device.

3. If they reset the iphone via itunnes they will not be able to access my photos or information right?

Thanks for your reply Im extremey nervous. Im writing from Ecuador!

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 2:46 PM

Since you had a passcode on the phone, they wouldn't be able to access your information through the phone itself. They would only have been able to erase it. They may have been able to access some of your information through iCloud while they had access via your password. The following has some suggestions of other things that you may want to do in addition to changing your password: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2018 2:46 PM in response to isabellafromguayaquil

Since you had a passcode on the phone, they wouldn't be able to access your information through the phone itself. They would only have been able to erase it. They may have been able to access some of your information through iCloud while they had access via your password. The following has some suggestions of other things that you may want to do in addition to changing your password: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Feb 21, 2018 2:57 PM in response to Briansyddall

Brian I understand this. But to do that they must have had to erase the iphone right? I dont care about the device I just dont want them to have access to my personal information. Even via icloud I erased the important things such as passwords! But still its very stressfull. They probably only bas my icoud account for 5 min. Enough time to erase the device from find my iphone and erase it remotely. But not to deactivate the 6 digit passcode, right? Thanks for your reply!

Feb 21, 2018 3:02 PM in response to isabellafromguayaquil

There is no way for them to deactivate the 6-digit passcode and access your content. With your iCloud ID and password, the only method they have to access anything on the device is to restore it to remove the passcode. With Find My iPhone turned off with the information they had, they have what is needed to restore the phone. That will wipe all of your data from the phone, and allow them to use it. Your data is safe.

Stolen Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.