Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What’s up with the US holidays calendar

What the **** is up with the “US Holiday” calendar? When did holi, Cinco de Mayo, Ramadan and other non-US holidays get put on this calendar? Is there a calendar with the 11 US holidays one can subscribe too?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, iTunes 11

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 4:44 AM

I agree. My calendar is now littered with pointless holidays, many of which are either irrelevant or I never heard of. There NEEDS to be a way to edit this. I don’t need

Lunar New Year

Holi (?)

Orthodox Easter

First Day of Ramadan

Eid al-Fitr (?)

Juneteenth (?)

Eid al-Adha (?)

Ashura (?)

Diwali (?)

Etc

I’ve used this calander for years, this is all new and it’s cluttering it up.

How do I find/add a better calendar with less nonsense?

395 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 4:44 AM in response to jrdaskibumm

I agree. My calendar is now littered with pointless holidays, many of which are either irrelevant or I never heard of. There NEEDS to be a way to edit this. I don’t need

Lunar New Year

Holi (?)

Orthodox Easter

First Day of Ramadan

Eid al-Fitr (?)

Juneteenth (?)

Eid al-Adha (?)

Ashura (?)

Diwali (?)

Etc

I’ve used this calander for years, this is all new and it’s cluttering it up.

How do I find/add a better calendar with less nonsense?

Feb 28, 2018 5:00 PM in response to jrdaskibumm

I, too, was annoyed by all of the "weird" holidays popping up in my calendar, so I unsubscribed from Apple's "US Holidays" calendar. I found one that hits all of the "big" holidays, including Easter and other Christian holidays that people who aren't necessarily Christian or Catholic still like to see on their calendars.

webcal://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar/ics/76/US_Holidays.ics

Hope this helps some people!

Jun 13, 2018 10:32 AM in response to auralto

auralto wrote:

User uploaded fileKurt,

You are the one that needs to read the questions. My question involved the US Holidays name DISAPPEARING. It cannot be edited or deleted.

Any ideas? I thought not. More interesting to carry on the inane discussion about holidays.

The issue was that your question was buried in a thread that was about an entirely different topic. If you want a question to be carefully considered and responded to, it needs to be in a place that is obvious. Putting a post like yours in the middle of a contentious thread is almost guaranteed to get no notice.

What have you done to troubleshoot the issue? Have you reset your device? Have you tried turning off Calendars in iCloud on the device and then turning it back on?

Do you have a Mac? If so, go to the Calendar on the Mac, click on Calendars>Preferences, and uncheck the "Show Holidays Calendar".

GB

Jun 13, 2018 12:19 PM in response to auralto

turaloo how did you get screen shots? ok...User uploaded file
It WAS us holidays (or your locale specific for UK, FR, etc)
Then it became "Show Holidays calendar" but.. if you already had US Holidays selected, the label doesn't seem to update until you cleared the checkbox! So it says US Holidays while giving general holidays. (Thus everyone's confusion)
It is very possible that it is being renamed again, or removed entirely, and you are seeing the effects of this. We won't know until later

Feb 28, 2018 7:26 AM in response to jrdaskibumm

jrdaskibumm wrote:

I understand that what I wanted to know was why they changed to old list to add all the others. Apparently the PC police have taken over Apple. I have built my own repeating holidays for now. Once I figure out how to create a calendar file I will upload it to Caldav.

I personally use Week Cal and have for many years now. It will sync and display multiple calendars (mine shows my work exchange calendar which includes our company holiday schedule, my personal iCloud calendar, a group work calendar, and Week Cal subscription calendars for my local weather, Week Cal’s version of US Holidays (which does have some differences from both Apple’s and Microsoft’s), and one for Public Canadian Holidays). You can then custom color code the combined displays of multiple calendars.

Week calendar has a big subscription calendar store - many are free or a single one time payment (e.g. my weather calendar was a single one time lifetime charge of a couple of bucks).

Week Calendar for iPad by WeekCal B.V. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/week-calendar-for-ipad/id434143491?mt=8

Mar 12, 2018 9:37 AM in response to Hessa333

Hessa333 wrote:

That's not true. I have several 11 of my own calendars and this one that I can't delete. I will click on "hide all" and then select the calendar that I want to view. Now instead of just clicking on "show all" to show my 11 calendars, I have to now also click on the holidays calendar to uncheck it. I know this is a first world problem, but again, my point is that we should be allowed to delete the calendar completely from our iphones/ipads.

Yes, what I said is still true. If you uncheck the calendar, it stays unchecked until you check it again. If you select check all, you're checking it again.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 11, 2018 5:20 AM in response to Mactbc99

Mactbc99 wrote:

Actually to me a US holiday is one recognized by most all employers and comes with a day off or extra pay if worked. Of course it depends on contracts and corporate rules. “Beginning of Ramadan“ doesn’t reflect a US Holiday. It is a religious holiday. Palm Sunday is a religious holy day but also not a US Holiday. Easter is a religious Holiday but also not a US Holiday. Check the post office or a bank for US Holidays. Apple seems to have their Holidays (US) confused with religious holidays.

Well, feel free to let Apple know: https://apple.com/feedback. Posting in this user to user forum where it will not be seen by anyone at Apple with authority to change it is a waste of time.

BTW, Before February 22 Apple's US Holidays calendar was just what you are asking for. But there was a huge outcry on social media about the fact that Easter was not on it, so Apple capitulated and added back religious holidays.

Jun 11, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Uncle_HairBall

Uncle_HairBall wrote:

Trouble is, WHEN did this become a US holiday??? I’m sure it is an important date overseas but not so much here as to labeled a “US holiday”.

Remove the reference as a “US holiday” and this discussion will cease to be.

Yet create a “Islam Holiday” and stick it there.

Just not where you placed it

Tell Apple what you think about the label of the subscription calendar: Apple - Feedback.

However, why would you think Eid al-Fitr is more important overseas (unless you mean the Middle East), when there are over 3 million Muslims in this country. Some of us actually like knowing when people we work with or know in our town are celebrating their important holidays.

And US Holidays is not specific to any religion, whereas Islam Holidays is. So, the easiest solution is to simply choose a different calendar.

GB

What’s up with the US holidays calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.