Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Animation audio sync

I've created an animation on Motion timed to a separate recorded audio track.

The sound plays fine in Motion but when rendered out the sound is increasing out of sync from start to finish.

The project runs 1080p at 29.97

The audio was recorded at 48k but when it's rendered into Apple Pro Res 4444 it comes out as 44.1k

is this part of the problem?

Sorry if this has been covered multiple times before.

I can't see anything obvious that I've done wrong but I must doing something wrong.

All the best and many thanks for any input you can offer.

Derek

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 12:21 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 24, 2018 12:04 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This is what I could find out by experimentation... there is no documentation I could find for this, but:

Motion converts all audio to 44.1 with a couple of exceptions:

1) Share > Other Destinations > Export Audio with the setting of AC3 (Dolby Digital)

2) Share > Other Destinations > Apple Devices > Apple TV

Show Details > Encode for More compatibility

And that is pretty much it... for working locally.

If you plan to use your project in FCPX, then export a copy of the audio and import it into FCPX (you'll have to do that one way or the other anyway because FCPX does not use Motion audio in generators/effects without importing the audio from the Media folder anyway).

I did not test DVD/Blu-ray (they usually don't count anymore) but I did try YouTube and that maintains the 48Khz sample rate.

You can try out the others, just select the destination and then check the Summary tab for the details of the exported media.

User uploaded file

Feb 24, 2018 9:43 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

This is what I could find out by experimentation... there is no documentation I could find for this, but:

Motion converts all audio to 44.1 with a couple of exceptions: …

tried a few files & shares: confirming that!!!

Now THAT is … odd weird a scandal ?

Read some old specs on wiki: antique DV used a 48kHz sample-rate, older Betacam did too … '44.1' was invented in the days of PCM adapters to record 'digital' on u-matic cassettes …

so, how come the 'audioCD rate' of 44.1 made it into 'Molokini'??? And why?

feedback time!

Feedback - Motion - Apple

Feb 23, 2018 5:16 PM in response to Deekster

I don't know if this will work, but it's an idea. Try setting the Audio Midi setup to 48k before exporting.

1. Open "Audio Midi Setup" in the Utilities folder.
  2. Select Built-In Output
  3. Change the Format>Channels (I'm looking at High Sierra when doing this) to 24-bit Integer (48.0 kHz)
  4. Try your export

This is a bit of a guess, but I recall having done something similar several years ago. Worth a try, and you can always change it back if it doesn't work.

Animation audio sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.