Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes deleted my music libary AGAIN!

Why is iTunes such unreliable software? Seriously it's gone sooooo downhill in the last couple of years. I opened up my itunes library the other day, and get the message

" The file "itunes library.itl does not appear to be a valid iTunes library file. iTunes has created a new iTunes library and renamed this file to "itunes library.itl (damaged)"

Then opening up a blank itunes library, with only the albums I bought directly from itunes. Now I've had this happen to me 4 times in the last year and a half!~ and I know about renaming the last saved itunes library, as the current one (which in this case was 4 months ago) however by doing that, I still need to go back and RELOAD everything I put on
my itunes library in the past 4 months! Which I will probably end up doing again in another 3 - 4 months, when this crappy unreliable software decides not to work again!

A few days ago when I had my library wiped out and that message showed up again, I renamed the current file it labeled as (damaged) back to just iTunes library, and got it to restore to its current state, and work again, that is until today. I tried the same thing again a few minutes ago, only this time I keep getting the "damaged" library file, and it keeps giving me a blank version of itunes!

- So my Question is, is there any way to restore my current library, without having to reload everything I put on there in the past 4 months? And is there anyway to ensure that this doesn't happen again in a few months?

I've tried apple support in the past directly, but they were zero help, mostly because they refuse to admit they have anything wrong with their software. If there is nothing I can do to keep this from happening, I am totally done with iTunes. I have been a loyal apple customer for years, but there music software keeps getting worse and worse in the past few years, and the company doesn't seem to care. - what a shame

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

Dana

Windows 8

Posted on Feb 24, 2018 3:01 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 24, 2018 5:24 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks ChrisJ4203 - I know that my files aren't lost, I am aware of where they are stored on my computer, and as I stated I know how to rename a previous music library and restore that one, as stated in the link you sent me, however it doesn't fix the root problem I have, that every 3 - 4 months my current library goes missing, I have to rename a previous library, and then reload everything I put on my new renamed library from the last 3 - 4 months. And from reading other posts on this forum, I'm not alone in having this problem. If itunes was reliable software, I shouldn't be having this dilemma over and over again.

However thanks for response.

Feb 24, 2018 9:12 PM in response to danafrommankato

I have updated iTunes every time it comes up. I have never had an issue with my music, nor have I ever had to rename any files. Only one time did I have an issue where I had to remove and reinstall iTunes in Windows, and that was a driver issue for the iPhone. If you are experiencing this issue every 3-4 months, I suggest you have something else going on besides an iTunes issue.

iTunes deleted my music libary AGAIN!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.