Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change from standard account to administrator account?

I just rename current username which is admin's account and the user name didn't update too now the current user is now standard account and user & group system preferences is grey out. when I "click the lock to make changes" a new windows pop up I couldn't unlock it when entering correct credentials. I tried using old user name and password too. I guess administrator's name is referring to current user. Can anyone help me before I clean install again because that's the only option I have got.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 11:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, I did tried the thread mention there "I can not unlock my users & group preferences" but it didn't help me, the third command rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone says there is not such directory and I can't delete the standard account too because the "Allow user to admininstrator this computer is grey out".

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 11:52 PM in response to zachfrommao

Thanks for the reply, I did tried the thread mention there "I can not unlock my users & group preferences" but it didn't help me, the third command rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone says there is not such directory and I can't delete the standard account too because the "Allow user to admininstrator this computer is grey out".

Feb 26, 2018 7:17 AM in response to zachfrommao

If admin account name is changed and it is converted into standard account , enter in single user mode .

1. Choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the power button if your Mac is turned off.
  2. Press Command-S as your Mac starts up.
    The screen is black with standard white text. You can now run the UNIX commands that you want.
  3. Execute this command .

mv /var/db/.AppleSetupDone /var/db/.OldAppleSetupDone

Then press enter key after that .

exit

Restart the Mac , then it will prompt language then create a new user account .

Note : In the first terminal command there is space after mv and also after Done .

how to change from standard account to administrator account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.