Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi Res music keeps pausing with iOS 11 through headphones

The KaiserTone - HiRes Audio Player for iPhone is great, but like every other hi res audio player out there (Vox, Onkyo), it randomly pauses when I am playing music through my headphones.

Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this? The issue does not arise when my iPhone connects music to speakers via Bluetooth.

iPhone X

Running iOS 11.2.6 (latest software)

Using Chord Electronics Mojo DAC/Amp

Bowers & Wilkins P9 headphones.

I have tried other headphones, same problem. Same for different hi res players and different music. Strangely, this isn’t a problem when same music and same music player is Bluetoothed to a speaker, or when played through the iPhone's speakers. Only when headphones are connected. Have cleaned port connections. No change. All music is stored on the iPhone. The pauses are random.

Any advice, gratefully received.

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:31 PM

Hi.

It must be problem with ios. I got iphone 7 256gb and iphone keep pausing music when play by usb audio in car or bluetooth at home.

What i have discovered it’s happen only when play specific playlists on my phone very often about 3-4 songs and need to press play on iphone again. When press play on my car radio normally control music by car radio but when music stop need preas play on iphone if press play on car radio it doesn’t play. Was ok on iphone 6s. Iphone 7 i crap

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 9:31 PM in response to Prof B

Hi.

It must be problem with ios. I got iphone 7 256gb and iphone keep pausing music when play by usb audio in car or bluetooth at home.

What i have discovered it’s happen only when play specific playlists on my phone very often about 3-4 songs and need to press play on iphone again. When press play on my car radio normally control music by car radio but when music stop need preas play on iphone if press play on car radio it doesn’t play. Was ok on iphone 6s. Iphone 7 i crap

Feb 28, 2018 9:33 PM in response to Arkadiii

It appears that when the True Tone function on the iPhone X or iPhone 8 is switched on, hi res music playback through external DACs such as Mojo can be adversely affected. By switching it off, things improve significantly. Hopefully the issue will be fixed when Apple release iOS 11.3, but who knows?

Prof B

Feb 28, 2018 9:39 PM in response to Arkadiii

Another thing to check is the condition of the cable. It also appears that there is a fault in the USB A to USB Micro cable I am using, causing channel noise and drop outs. These things are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. You can have a great set of headphones, a great DAC/AMP & Hi Res audio files, but it won't come to much if the cable is cheap and/or faulty. Well worth investing in a short high quality cable from people like Moon Audio.

Prof B

Feb 28, 2018 9:52 PM in response to Prof B

On my phone it happened when play just normal mp3 songs and song start to play and then stop after 1 sec can hear begin of song. And then any external music control can not get play again. Need to be press play on phone. Is looks like internal hardware cut out. When closed all app is still stop playing. Resdtored phone twice and sync 150gb twice take so long and not going to that any more.

Why Apple doesn’t say anything about issue? Maybe is hardware issue and phone nees to be replaced ?

Mar 7, 2018 1:13 PM in response to Prof B

I'm having this exact same issue! I have an iPhone X (256GB) and I also use KaiserTone - HiRes Audio Player. I'm running iOS 11.2.6

I started noticing a lot of drop outs when connecting my phone to my car via lighting connector, I initially blamed KaiserTone so I uninstalled it, but then I started noticing the exact same issue on Tidal, Spotify and even Apple Music and then also started noticing it on all my other USB audio devices (mostly DACs). All the music is stored locally (via iTunes transfer or downloads on Apple Music, Tidal or Spotify) but still I get drop outs every few minutes regardless of which app I use or which USB Audio device. Have tried the DragonFly Red, iFi iDSD Nano BL and Fiio Q5 plus my Car (Harman Kardon sound system) and I get drop out on all of them even switched cables and used Apple's Camara Adapter (MK0W2AM/A) but I still get drop outs.

I've had the iPhone X since early November and don't recall this issue before. Before that I had an iPhone 6s Plus that was also used with my car via lighting and other lightning-USB DACs with absolutely no issues.

Hi Res music keeps pausing with iOS 11 through headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.