Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I pair an iPhone by Bluetooth to a MacBook?

Objective: Pair an iPhone -- iOS 10.3.3, by Bluetooth to a MacBook Pro -- macOS 10.13.2, so that phone calls and texts coming in to the iPhone will simultaneously be announced and made accessable on the MacBook Desktop.

Both the iPhone and the MacBook connect successfully by Bluetooth to another device. Bluetooth hardware is up and running.

Attempted:

• MacBookA > Sys Prefs > B'tooth > On. And iPhoneB > Settings > B'tooth > On.

• MacBookA > Sys Prefs > B'tooth > Devices > MacBookA sees iPhoneB.

• iPhoneB > Settings > B'tooth > iPhoneB does not see MacBookA.

• MacBookA > Sys Prefs > B'tooth > Devices > Double-clicked iPhone. MacBookA sends iPhoneB an invitation to pair.

• On iPhoneB offer accepted.

• iPhoneB > Settings > Bluetooth > Other Devices > MacBookA is shown with infinitely spinning toothpick wheel.

• iPhoneB > ... Bluetooth off.

• iPhoneB > ... Bluetooth on.

• MacBookA > ... Double-clicked iPhoneB to issue request to pair.

• iPhoneB > Accepted request to pair.

• iPhoneB > ... My Devices > sees MacBook. Not Connected.

• iPhoneB > single clicked MacBookA in ... My Devices. Received "Alert: Connection Unsuccessful. 'MacBookA' is not supported." The only option offered in the Alert: Forget Device.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 11:30 AM

Dognose T. Bemis wrote:

You don't. iPhones cannot be paired over bluetooth with computers. Mac or PC. But you don't need to pair them to do what you want.

If you want to be able to place and answer calls and get and send messages from your iPhone on a Mac, pairing is not required. You just need to set up Continuity on both devices. Follow the steps here to set it up:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Move seamlessly between your devices with Handoff, Universal Clipboard, iPhone Cellular Calls, SMS/MMS messaging, Instant Hotspot, and Auto Unlock.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2018 11:30 AM in response to Dognose T. Bemis

Dognose T. Bemis wrote:

You don't. iPhones cannot be paired over bluetooth with computers. Mac or PC. But you don't need to pair them to do what you want.

If you want to be able to place and answer calls and get and send messages from your iPhone on a Mac, pairing is not required. You just need to set up Continuity on both devices. Follow the steps here to set it up:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Move seamlessly between your devices with Handoff, Universal Clipboard, iPhone Cellular Calls, SMS/MMS messaging, Instant Hotspot, and Auto Unlock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.