Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook not locating Airprint printer but iPhone does

I have a MacBook Air from 2015 running High Sierra 10.13.3. I also have an iPhone 8+ running 11.2.6. My printer is a Brother MFC-L8900CDW, which has AirPrint. When we first got the printer a few months ago, the Mac recognized it instantly and I had to do very little. Recently, however, the Mac couldn't print because it said the printer was offline. I tried removing the printer from the Macbook's "printers and scanners" thinking I could just add it back. No such luck; the MacBook can't see the printer at all apparently.

The printer is still on the Wifi network and my iPhone can still print to it via AirPrint. I updated the firmware for the printer and restarted the machines. The iPhone still prints easily and the Mac is still not recognizing the printer when I click the "+" in the "printers and scanners" tab. I've continued to print from my iPhone including just now to verify that the printer is connected to the network, apparently properly. The MacBook is still connected to the Wifi network fine, as I am using it to post this question. The MacBook also updates on its own regularly. I *think* the latest High Sierra update *might* have coincided with this problem but I am not absolutely sure.

Any ideas?

Sherry

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 8:09 AM

Hi RTTyrion,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you're unable to print from your Mac, however you are able to print from your iPhone.

You've already tried some great steps to get this working. I recommend to take a look at the steps in the following article, specifically this section:

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled for printing from your Mac or iOS device, just make sure that it's connected to the same Wi-Fi network used by the Mac or iOS device.

If you still can't print, try any of these solutions:

• Restart your Wi-Fi router. Then restart your printer.
  • Move your printer closer to your Wi-Fi router.
  • Update your printer and Wi-Fi router with the latest firmware from the manufacturer.2
  • Update the software for your Mac or iOS device.

If you're using a Mac and you still can't print, it might help to reset the printing system. Otherwise, contact the printer manufacturer for support.

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device
If you're still unable to add the printer or the Mac doesn't recognize the printer, you may want to try setting up a test user account on your Mac to see if you're able to add the printer there. You can follow these steps to set this up: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
You may also want to try starting your Mac up in safe mode and try adding the printer from here if none of the above steps work. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Let me know how those steps work out for you.
Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 8:09 AM in response to RTTyrion

Hi RTTyrion,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you're unable to print from your Mac, however you are able to print from your iPhone.

You've already tried some great steps to get this working. I recommend to take a look at the steps in the following article, specifically this section:

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled

If your printer is AirPrint-enabled for printing from your Mac or iOS device, just make sure that it's connected to the same Wi-Fi network used by the Mac or iOS device.

If you still can't print, try any of these solutions:

• Restart your Wi-Fi router. Then restart your printer.
  • Move your printer closer to your Wi-Fi router.
  • Update your printer and Wi-Fi router with the latest firmware from the manufacturer.2
  • Update the software for your Mac or iOS device.

If you're using a Mac and you still can't print, it might help to reset the printing system. Otherwise, contact the printer manufacturer for support.

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device
If you're still unable to add the printer or the Mac doesn't recognize the printer, you may want to try setting up a test user account on your Mac to see if you're able to add the printer there. You can follow these steps to set this up: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
You may also want to try starting your Mac up in safe mode and try adding the printer from here if none of the above steps work. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Let me know how those steps work out for you.
Take care.

Macbook not locating Airprint printer but iPhone does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.