Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off trackpad selection by hovering

My shiny new MacBook Pro is driving me nuts in 2 ways:

1. If I allow the cursor to hover over anything for just a few seconds, it opens. This is beyond annoying. It is easy to stop this behavior in Windows, but I can't find anything in the trackpad controls in System Preferences to turn it off. I do not want anything to open unless I tap. Is the control for this buried somewhere?

2. The cursor also periodically latches on to a screen and when I move the cursor the whole screen moves. Also annoying.

Do I need an exorcist?

Clay

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3, It't 10.13.3, but menu out of date

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 3:14 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 27, 2018 4:28 AM in response to dominic23

Unfortunately that has no effect on the problem. The behavior I am talking about happens when there is NO click. Selecting by hovering is a common trackpad/mouse optional behavior, but on all other computers I have used you simply go into the controls for the device and turn that behavior off. I can not find a way to do that on my MacBook Pro.

Clay

Feb 27, 2018 4:40 AM in response to DiscipleC

Here are a couple of instances that just occurred. (These happened to be in Outlook, but the behavior is universal.)

1. I wanted to delete a spam message. I went to the trash can icon to do that. I hovered a few seconds too long (without clicking) and the 2 messages following that one were deleted too.

2. I decided to post this addendum with the above example. I went to the link in the email message about about an earlier reply that would take me here and it activated almost instantly before I even had a chance to click.

turn off trackpad selection by hovering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.