Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching iPhone Backup to iCloud - Smaller size than storage

Hi - I've changed my 6s backup to iCloud and when I checked to see if it was working, I was surprised to see that the size of the backup was smaller than the total items being backup. Most specifically, my photos. I've read about this issue in many places, and it seems like the common comment is that the backup does not include a photo library that is already stored on iCloud. The option to store my iPhone's photo library on iCloud is *not* selected (nor is the photo stream), so I'm confused if my images and videos are actually saved elsewhere. This is kind of timely since I'm getting a new iPhone and I need to verify if everything is getting backed up before I trade it in. Thanks for any constructive insights.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 7:47 AM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 8:35 AM in response to javaliga

Thanks for the reply. A big detail to leave out, sorry. Backup on iCloud says it's over 67 GB. Yesterday my Photos (documents and data) in iPhone Storage was over 75 GB. I just looked a few minutes ago as I started this reply and it was at about 34 GB. NOW it's at 54.28 GB, about 10 minutes later. Driving me kind of nuts.

As a side note- in iPhone Storage, the recommendation (which is not enabled) says I could save 45.11 GB if I upload and store my entire library in iCloud.

Switching iPhone Backup to iCloud - Smaller size than storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.