Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My storage is full of nothing and is fluctuating. What is happening?

The amount of free space on my computer is not only unnatural small, but also randomly fluctuating. The Size of OS X El Capitan is around 6 gigabytes, the size of all my files (Documents, images, music, movies) is 2.7 gigabytes (2,685,735,740 bytes), while the size of all my applications is 17.54 gigabytes (16,732,058,329 bytes). That is 26.24 gigabytes. However, if I look at the storage available, it only shows 12.59 out of 120.11, which fluctuates between 16.5 and 4.5. At one point I had to delete tons and tons of stuff from my computer free up storage space. I have no time machine or any other types of backups. What is happening?

MacBook Air, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:24 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 27, 2018 11:10 AM in response to tomfromtheworld

Your accounting of space has omitted tons of invisible files, the vm storage file that is equal to the amount of installed RAM, and the remains of OS X. The amount of free space that you do have should be at least 20GBs. It will vary as the OS writes temporary data to the disk that later is deleted by the automated system cleaning routines.

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  6. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  7. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  8. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

My storage is full of nothing and is fluctuating. What is happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.